Stepped and jagged

Well, I walked back into work this morning expecting 4 nicely printed brackets sitting on the platen of my Taz6, Unfortunately… there was a mangled part full of steps and offsets. I have no idea why this happened when I left my classroom everything was printing fine (from the SD card) could the PC have pinged the printer and caused an error? I Have run this file before and the only modification i made this time was to increase the infil from 20 to 50, and the layer thickness from .2 to .1. so 4 meters of filament and 13 hours later… I am stumped…

And since I am not sure if I am adequately describing the problem… Here is a photo.

Are the all the offsets in the same plane? If so, it might be a slipping belt. Considering the orientation of the part on the print surface will tell you if it’s the X or the Y axis that has the steps – then check the belt tension on that axis.

It looks like all of the steps are in the same plane, however i am printing the same part, right now, in the same orientation as before, and there are no steps…

Mwester’s offering great advice. If it happens again, take a picture of the print while it’s on the bed and reach out to the support team at LulzBot.com/Support. They’ll have some troubleshooting steps based on what you find.