Service Bulletin: Thermistor Issue in Aerostruder and Dual Extruder v3 Tool Heads

Have questions? Want advice?
kcchen_00

Re: Service Bulletin: Thermistor Issue in Aerostruder and Dual Extruder v3 Tool Heads

Post by kcchen_00 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Marlin has a PID Autotune feature. Other tutorials REPRAP and Marlin.

Galadriel
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Service Bulletin: Thermistor Issue in Aerostruder and Dual Extruder v3 Tool Heads

Post by Galadriel » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:11 pm

b-morgan wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:42 pm
Galadriel wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:20 am
We have actually optimized the PID settings for the Aerostruders more powerful fans. To have those new settings be enacted you have to first flash the firmware then through the console enter first M502 then M500 this will restore settings to default and save those settings allowing the new PID settings to be enabled
Would you be so kind as to give us the minimum version number of the firmware that contains these changes?
The new PID values were enacted in firmware version 1.1.5.70 that came with Cura 2.6.66. As long as you are using Cura 2.6.69 and the accompanying firmware of 1.1.5.71 then these values will be present in the software.

reveds69

Post by reveds69 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 am

Afternoon my Aerostruder fell into the serial number range denoted by sticker on back of tool head range.

Unfortunately I wasn't in the position to be able to arrange return of the head so........

I have replaced the thermistor and the wiring all the way upto the main loom plug with soldered joints I have the latest Cura LE 3 installed and the print head firmware updated through Cura and M coded as per installation instructions.

Problem is I still keep getting creeping temperatures what have I missed ? the replacement thermistor is a genuine E3D V6 thermistor.

Is this a firmware issue do I need to revert back to the last official Cura release 2.6.69 ? to get back on track ?

Thanks in advance

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:30 am

reveds69 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 am
last official Cura release 2.6.69
We have recently released Cura 3.2.21. Release notes on whats new can be found here: https://code.alephobjects.com/w/cura-lulzbot/

The Marlin included for all printers will be the latest stable upstream branch of 1.1.8.59 This is what we are currently recommending across all tool heads, and will be worth upgrading to. When installing the new Cura be sure to uninstall previous versions, and clear your cache afterwards. Operating specific instructions can be found here lulzbot.com/cura

reveds69

Post by reveds69 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi Brent many thanks for the reply as I mentioned I am running latest version of Cura LE 3 and as I had already swapped out all of the wiring and sensor with neat soldered joints at the loom connector and still having issue I could only guess that the issue I have is software / firmware related.

I just thought if I reverted back to the previous release to see if the problem went as this was originally a thermistor / wiring issue.

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

reveds69 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm
with neat soldered joints at the loom connector
Did you check all three connection points, or just the set at the loom? On the Aero thermistor, there will be three sets of pins you will want to check:
TAZAero_GatherParts.jpg.600x0_q85.jpg
Thermistor Connections
If you replaced the thermistor with one that does not have the quick swap connector, this should not be required.
reveds69 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 am
Problem is I still keep getting creeping temperatures what have I missed ?
At what point in the print are you having temperature fluctuations?

reveds69

Post by reveds69 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:43 am

Hi Brent
The complete loom has been replaced from the new thermistor to the main tool head connector.

I am beginning to suspect that the error occurs when the filament cooling fan kicks in or the tool head is not close to the bed.

Just strikes me odd its only happened since the latest release of Cura ?

computer_panda

Post by computer_panda » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:23 am

I had the same issues after i sent my toolheads back to lulzbot especially with petg, pla and other materials. I ordered silicone socks from matterhackers and so far my thermal runaway problem has not come back yet.

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/e ... k/MSW6K3SK