TAZ Dual V3 jams

After returning my V2 and getting the V3, I am having a hard time liking it. The filament path is horrible and I am having a hard time finding the sweet spot for retraction and tool change. Right now I am trying to print a batch of small clips that need PVA support, but the main extruder (E1) keeps jamming around mid way through. Its almost impossible to get the filament out or to get it to extrude. I was finally able to push super hard to get it to extrude out whatever was snagging in the body, preventing the removal of the filament.

Maybe I need to disassemble mine and check the green extruder body that the filament goes through. Maybe something isn’t alligned or the path needs to be cleared of filament from the factory print. Even after cutting the filament at an angle and working the filament into a curve, it’s still super difficult to get it in to where the filament will extrude.

I guess my questions is: What are retraction settings that others are using with good results? speed, distance, min length between retractions. Also what about tool change? I want to minimize ooze, but don’t want to go back too far to where it will catch when going to print again.

I’ve been doing mostly PLA with the new extruder, haven’t gotten to PETG yet. I’m running into the same issue and from what I’m learning reading the forums I think it’s heat creep that’s affecting the extruders. I’m going to try swapping fans and seeing what happens. Anyway here are the retraction settings I’ve been using. They work well for me and my prints turn out pretty good along with the calibration prints. I’ve used them on Polymaker, Hatchbox, and eSun

Retraction Distance 1.5, Extra restart distance 0, Vertical lift 0.05, Retraction Speed 15, Coasting Distance 0, Wipe Distance 1.1

Hope it helps

Try increasing the extrusion temp by a few degrees (2-3C), that seems to help the extrusion flow on the V3.

Retraction settings will depend on the filament… I’m at .9 for ABS.

Careful not to retract too much, the filament swells when heated to its glass transition temp. The heated filament won’t pass through the heat break and could get jammed.

Folks have also found that removal of filament requires a specific process of extruding a few mm, then immediately retracting the filament.

Loading, I try to straighten out the filament to help control the angle of the chisel tip (angled side down, facing hobbed bolt). Also found that angling the filament towards the front of the printer helps also. Angling towards the rails increases the possibility that the filament will escape from the path into the middle of the toolhead.

Hope some of these tips help. There is a learning curve, but the results are leaps and bounds over the V2. Just a matter of getting used to the new quirks.

Thanks kcchen_00 for the suggestion of straightening out the filament. I had such a difficult time loading PLA filament from my smaller 250g spools due to the tight curl. The curl works great for getting through the upper part of the extruder, but not so much for the transition to the heat break.

I almost considered disassembling the head to see what was jammed before searching the forms :mrgreen: Maybe some other day since the v3 Dual is less than a week old right now.

Perhaps that tension screw on the hobbled bolt is getting in the way a bit? When I load my filament I remove that screw and push the filament down and in as far as I can, I do get that tactile feel of hitting the end after a few inches, keep pushing and overcome that resistance. I can easily push filament out the nozzle load after load.

After a few spools through the Dual V3, I’ve found that just letting the extruder do the work of loading and unloading is the easiest.

Loading: Stick the filament in just enough for the idler to clamp it onto the hobbed bolt (technically its not a bolt any more). And use the gear to load the filament through the pathway works pretty well. Heatup the hotend, and continue to roll until the filament is extruded. The key is still the chisel tip and the proper angle.

Unloading: Heat up the hotend, extrude 5mm. Immediatey retract 30-60mm. Use the big gear to roll the rest out.