Cura 2.6 is a turd (for the Mini) - had to downgrade

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
mnemosyne

Re: Cura 2.6 is a turd (for the Mini) - had to downgrade

Post by mnemosyne » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:29 pm

@voxel thank you. I'm trying to decide if I should downgrade and spend another five days on this wreck. I had an exceptionally unhelpful series of volleys with tech support, and at this point I'm considering selling this and getting a different printer. I need something that works, preferably with people who can write their own software beyond just creating custom presets in an older branch of an open source project.
voxel wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:21 pm
mnemosyne wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:52 pm
@voxel which older build have you found works for your mini? I've lost at least half a week of work (or more) with every Cura update. I am not even sure why I upgraded again, every print has failed. The Mini is such a great machine, but the Cura software really needs a lot more in-house testing before being called production ready.
I downloaded the oldest 21.x version - http://download.lulzbot.com/Software/Cu ... ura_21.08/

and the 1.1.5.64 firmware - http://download.lulzbot.com/Software/Ma ... 353ccb.hex

ebolton

Post by ebolton » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:30 pm

I sympathize. Glad I got the TAZ 6 so I can use the card reader. Mine came with 21.something on the SD card, and I initially used that on a laptop to run the printer. Worked great. Meanwhile, I had downloaded 2.6 onto my main computer. It seemed to work OK, so for awhile I was using 2.6 to write files to an SD card to use in the printer.

I then loaded 2.6.69 on the laptop. It loaded fine, but wouldn't run. Hangs at "loading interface" or something like that. I uninstalled Cura entirely from the laptop, and kept using 2.6.69 to write Gcode and sneakernet it to the printer.

Then, 2.6.69 unexpectedly and spontaneously started running like crap on the main computer. It was intolerable. Took 5 minutes to start, and a minute or more to register any mouse action. Since it ran fine for awhile initially, I decided to uninstall and reinstall figuring a disk optimization or something probably corrupted it.

I could not even download 2.69 from the Luzbot site again. My virus software flagged it as malware and wouldn't let it though. So I went to the old versions section and downloaded 21.xx (08?). That's what I'm running now, on my main computer in my living room and using SD card sneakernet to drive the printer in my workshop.

2.6.69 LE is really a dog.

-Ed

mnemosyne

Post by mnemosyne » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 pm

Some bright news, before wiping everything and downgrading (or alternatively throwing the printer out the window) I decided to try the alpha of 3.2. It loads much faster and I am still getting to know the update, but right off the bat the quality of prints is far superior to 2.6.69.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7289

dshinsel

Post by dshinsel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 am

Finally decided to try switching from 21.08 to 2.6.

Does anyone know what happened to QuickPrint profiles(Standard, High Speed, High Detail)? Is there any equivalent in 2.6?

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:51 am

They're still there! While things look different in the latest versions of Cura LulzBot Edition, you can still find exactly what you need.

Find more information on the slicing profile quality options here, under Recommended vs Custom Settings: https://www.lulzbot.com/learn/tutorials ... -whats-new