How is Percentage Done Calculated?

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
saildude

Post by saildude » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:46 pm

Is it on filament used or layer count? I see the estimated filament length and layer count in the g code header. Sometimes the count seems to be layers and other times maybe length.

Thanks

b-morgan

Re: How is Percentage Done Calculated?

Post by b-morgan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:36 am

There are numerous methods for doing this calculation. The slicer used can generate an estimate and the software used to send the gcode file to the USB port of the printer can do the calculation. There are Marlin firmware commands (M73) that can be embedded in the gcode to be displayed on the LCD of the printer (if it exists).

The simplest method uses the number of bytes of the gcode file sent and the number of bytes in the gcode file. The most accurate method is to simulate the firmware and pass the gcode file through the simulator.

If you want a better answer, then you will need to describe the tools you use to drive your printer.

saildude

Post by saildude » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:08 pm

I have a Lulzbot Mini 2 and it displays time elapsed and percentage done on it's LCD screen and I was wondering how the percentage done was being calculated.

I print from the SD card with my PC disconnected.

Thanks

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:57 am

saildude wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:08 pm
percentage done on it's LCD screen and I was wondering how the percentage done was being calculated.
The LCD screen will report a % done by number of gcode lines. This is not the most accurate as some gcode lines will require more time (think a long straight line across the build volume vs a small turn around a sphere,) but it is a good approximation.

saildude

Post by saildude » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 pm

Thanks, makes sense and should be relatively straightforward to implement

BusterCherry

Post by BusterCherry » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:41 am

I miss the days when Cura would give you real time feedback of which layer was currently being printed. This definitely came in handy if there were issues or print errors with a model on a particular layer. I don't know why this feature has been removed. Seems like a step backwards.

b-morgan

Post by b-morgan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 am

BusterCherry wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:41 am
I miss the days when Cura would give you real time feedback of which layer was currently being printed. This definitely came in handy if there were issues or print errors with a model on a particular layer. I don't know why this feature has been removed. Seems like a step backwards.
One could easily post-process the .gcode file to provide this feedback.