Cura Supports and Simplify3D Supports

I find the supports printed by Cura are very difficult to remove. I have read and seen videos where the Simplify3D supports are easier to remove. I had to spend the $149 to try S3D but unless I can get better supports from Cura I don’t have any choice.

Also when I say Yes to supports in Cura I don’t have a clue what I should or should not be selecting. Most of the parts I print are small and lots of overhangs I need to support. Perhaps somewhere there is more definite information and/or tutorials for Cura. I am using the current version.

Thanks

Somehow my message got posted twice. Sorry about that. Jay

First you may want to play around with the Support Density value. A default value typically is set to 30%, that may be a little high of a value for you especially if you’re printing small parts. 10% or less may be a more generous value that will do you well.

Secondly, you can adjust the Support to Z Distance value. A larger value here will make the supports easier to break off from you model. Basically this is the distance between your model and the support structure. A value of 0 is the strongest bond between support and structure because they’re at the same layer height. Increasing the value is increasing the gap between support structure and model. If you have a setting of .5mm and your model’s surface that needs support is at 5mm from the bottom. Your support structure will be 4.5mm high. (.5mm is a bit extreme but demonstrates the point) If you were too look closely you would probably see a dip from your model to the support because of gravity, thus not as strong of a bond because of the quick cooling, less surface contact, etc… physics!

Another option that may be of interest to you Is the Support Placement. Everywhere or Touching the Build Plate are the two choices. Everywhere will add support structures everywhere including your model if the over hang is over your model and where the Build Plate. Build Plate only will only add support structure to parts that overhang to your build plate and not your model. Sometimes you just don’t need support when it overhangs your model.

I too have not gone over to S3D cause it seems free Cura can do everything I need it to do.

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation of supports… That should certainly help in my 3D printing. I also found a tutorial for Cura put out by the 3D printer company that produces Cura. It has a tiny section on supports. However, after I installed my SL head on my printer small parts and details have really improved. I am glad I purchased the smaller nozzle head.

Thanks again

Jay Beckham

The other setting that may help is the horizontal separation from the object… Same principle as the Z separation ~.3mm from the model works well. This is good for curved overhangs.

One nice thing that S3D has is the ability for dense top and bottom layers. This lets you use a lower density support (ie. 15-20%), and still have a platform for the object.

I really think S3D is in my future. A friend of mine swears by it.