CURA 14.9 USING EXPERT SETTINGS

I am fairly new to Cura and had a few questions. I have been using quick print and wanted to start using expert settings because I like to change the settings in the support structure, spacing etc of the supports… I am somewhat familiar with most of the settings but do not understand why when I went to use the expert settings it does not start with cleaning the nozzle, bed leveling etc. It just starts to lay down the filament and it is not sticking to the bed, seems like the nozzle is not close enough to the bed for the filament to adhere correctly. Any suggestions on how to have the expert settings start like the quick settings. thanks all looking for some good advise.

After you switch to expert settings, you need to download a cura profile from the Lulzbot website and load it into Cura. That will bring in all the starting gcode for wiping and leveling along with the default settings.

thanks for the info nopick, Please excuse my ignorance here on Cura and Luzbot. I am really green with this and not even sure where to find it on the site and where does it get installed on Cura. can you give me a little detail on how to find and do this. If I don’t do it correctly is there a way to go back and make the corrections and start over again.

Mini profiles are here:
https://www.lulzbot.com/support/mini-cura-profiles

Taz profiles are here:
https://www.lulzbot.com/support/taz-cura-profiles

You load the downloaded .ini file through the File menu in Cura. I don’t have Cura in front of me and I don’t remember the exact menu item name.

If you need to go back to an unchanged profile state, just load the profile from Lulzbot again.

Excellent, I assume this will have all the info to clean the nozzle, level b ed etc. for each filament that I would choose to use. Nopick, would I need to select which filament each time i want to start a new print to have all the setting correct? Thanks I will try this after my build is complete in a few hours

It is at File>Open Profile in Cura.

Cura should open with the last settings used.

Thanks nopick, your info and advice worked great. greatly appreciate your help…

I think we have all been there with Cura!

Indeed…
It’s worth noting to pretty much always load a profile, as Cura doesn’t ALWAYS load the last profile used.<-- I’ve seen it’s Python service crash several times in Windows…

I’ve started to save/create my own profiles for certain prints, loading them, then manually massaging them for each specific print… So it’s now habit to load a profile with each and every print…

It’s been working pretty good so far…as I’m learning… :laughing:

Indeed…
It’s worth noting to pretty much always load a profile, as Cura doesn’t ALWAYS load the last profile used.<-- I’ve seen it’s Python service crash several times in Windows…

I’ve started to save/create my own profiles for certain prints, loading them, then manually massaging them for each specific print… So it’s now habit to load a profile with each and every print…

It’s been working pretty good so far…as I’m learning… :laughing:[/quote

Great idea as well Dawgbone, will start that right now. Really appreciate all the advice and help from you guys

It is a little to digest at first but learning here with all the response from you guys here. it is nice to see there is help and answers to our questions on the mini and Cura… thanks guys

Hi,

Trying to load profiles in cura, ( specifically cause im trying to get ninjaflex to work, ive printed the flexstruder built it into my standard extruder head ( Taz 5 ) ) its probably a stupid question but I hope someone can help…

When I right click to save as from the lulzbot website with all the available profiles I can only save as a “HTML” format cura wont open these files as its looking for an “.ini” ive tried renaming but that doesn’t work…

What am I missing ??

Also on the subject of trying to print ninjaflex do I need a bigger nozzle than the standard Taz 5 which I think is 0.35mm ? reason I ask is the extruder seams to work well till the filament actually reaches the nozzle then loads up and wont push the filament through… its working with ABS fine im confused on so many levels :slight_smile:

Thanks,

SS

I’m guessing you are a Windows user. .ini is a protected file type under windows. Go to Contrmlol Panel / Folder options, I think it’s under Advanced . There is a checkbox to hide system files, uncheck that, and also hide extensions for known types. Now you should be able to save an ini file. Be careful of saving as curafile.ini.html if extensions are hidden :slight_smile: It could drive you nuts trying to find an ,ini file that just is not there. Trust me, I know

Also on the subject of trying to print ninjaflex do I need a bigger nozzle than the standard Taz 5 which I think is 0.35mm ? reason I ask is the extruder seams to work well till the filament actually reaches the nozzle then loads up and wont push the filament through

Indeed, our Flexystruder for the TAZ that is currently available uses a Budaschnozzle at 0.5mm. Our developmental Kanyu uses a 0.6mm nozzle and has an all metal Hexagon hot end.

We have found Ninjaflex likes the larger nozzle size, and prevents backflow issues. We also like to recommend a dedicated hotend, as Ninjaflex can be difficult to purge when combined with other materials at high temp and pressure.

I hope this helps!

Thanks guys,

INI’s all sorted & I did have files called xxx.ini.htm :laughing:

Have ordered up a couple of new nozzles @ 0.5 just have to wait for the postman…

SS

Cura is easy to use but KissSlicer has a few features that really make it hard to beat. If Cura could implement the Z axis overshoot and back up it would be much better.

Hi voi9viper,

I’m work on Cura at Aleph Objects, but have never used KissSlicer. Could you elaborate on the meaning behind “Z axis overshoot and back up”?

~Nick