Supporting OctoPrint

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
Biolumo

Re: Supporting OctoPrint

Post by Biolumo » Fri May 06, 2016 10:47 am

Not to take the thread off topic again, just thought i'd let everyone know that the current 0.13 stable version on the OctoPrint website seems to work for me. Some people have said they had no problems with the Nightly builds, but oddly enough the 3/18/16 nightly build of octopi Jessie lite 0.13 was one of the ones that did NOT work for me. Weird. Anyway the new one seems to work. Now i just have to figure out how to use it.

i-t-w.com

Post by i-t-w.com » Sat May 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Biolumo wrote:The holes on the Lulzbot mini frame seem to be designed for a BeagleBone Black.
That's what AO uses in the cluster. Why Beaglebones? Pis aren't totally open source.
Here's a few Mini pi cases http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=pi+ ... t+mini&sa=

+1 to supporting Octoprint.
IT-Works 3D Printers, Supplies, Training, Support, Repair, Parts
http://www.itworks3d.com
sales@i-t-w.com
970-599-1152

3dRiffs

Post by 3dRiffs » Wed May 11, 2016 12:17 pm

Crossposting from another thread:

It (0.13) works great on my Pi 2 now that the desktop is gone, so I setup a Pi 3 and an old TV in the work room so I have direct control of the Octopi interface without having to shlep in my laptop.

Let me add my suggestion that all Octoprint users go support the project, even at $1/month. That's less than 1/3 a cup of coffee, or about the cost of 2 Roctopi's (is that the plural?). Darn cheap to let me print and monitor from any room in the house.

On that note, Please think three times (not just twice) before attempting to put octoprint on an internet-accessible machine. Unless you're very good at both locking it down initially, and maintaining that on a regular basis, there's serious risks. This isn't like having someone steal your iTunes files - a malicious actor could easily destroy the printer, and even potentially burn down the house. Or put it another way - I'm a security architect with the world's largest InfoSec company, and my octopi is nicely snuggled behind my fire(wall), all set for a long nights printing. IMHO (and that comes with two grains of salt), it's not worth the risk.

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Sun May 15, 2016 4:35 pm

Hey,

We're supporting Octoprint at $1,024 USD/month via Patreon. We're also now supporting Thomas Sanladerer at $256/month.

Small side note: We use Botqueue in our cluster, not Octoprint. Though I'd love to have an Octoprint enabled cluster.

-Jeff

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun May 15, 2016 4:40 pm

That should help both of them out quite a bit!

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Sun May 15, 2016 4:50 pm

jebba wrote:Hey, We're supporting Octoprint at $1,024 USD/month via Patreon. We're also now supporting Thomas Sanladerer at $256/month.
That's FANTASTIC, Jeff! Thank you!

AardvarkMan

Post by AardvarkMan » Sun May 15, 2016 8:58 pm

jebba wrote:Hey,

We're supporting Octoprint at $1,024 USD/month via Patreon. We're also now supporting Thomas Sanladerer at $256/month.

Small side note: We use Botqueue in our cluster, not Octoprint. Though I'd love to have an Octoprint enabled cluster.

-Jeff
Wow, that is very generous of you guys. As an owner of a Taz 5 with OctoPrint and I'm working with a new Makerspace in my town to put in 2 more Taz 5 units with OctoPrint (one is done and the second has been ordered) I really appreciate you supporting OctoPrint. It really is a gift to the community.

Thanks!

nopick

Post by nopick » Sun May 15, 2016 9:36 pm

jebba wrote:Hey,

-Jeff
That's great to hear. It is a great tool for these printers.

akent

Post by akent » Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Interesting that AO is supporting Octoprint at 400 Hex per month and Sanladerer at 100 hex per month!