What supports?

Hello one and all,

Greetings from India. I am so far afield and I miss being able to get support from like minded people in person, so this will have to do.

I inherited a Lulzbot TAZ 5 at my school, and went to make my first print, but ran into a surprising problem. Cura seems not to show a preview of any supports even when its checked.

I have done some 3d printing through Meshmixer and found its software to be very helpful with the use of supports for overhangs.

When I use Cura, and choose supports, I see nothing in the preview. Nothing is added to the visual, so I have no idea if or what Cura will be adding. I assume its considering something as the print time increases.

Is there no way to view how the supports are going to be used? Its just blind faith its the best option?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Tim

Greetings,
I thought I would attached files to show what the Layers option said was supports.

It seems to be printing it in a cylinder. But there is nothing to support under the bowl part of the chalice, which is where its needed.

Suggestions?
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 8.59.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 8.59.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 8.59.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 8.59.05 PM.png

It looks like the option to support from build plate only is on. Use the everywhere option.

Thank you.

I did get things straightened out.

Appreciated.