Need advise: Measuring a car grill

Salivations!

I’d like to print a custom grill for my camaro, the black areas as seen in this photo:

Typically I use the trusted “trial and error” method for printing complex shapes. But considering the size, I’d like to reduce the “error” portion. Hoping someone can give me some advise on how to measure such a space / shape.

Ultimately, I’d like the printed piece to drill into the top of the grill space (so that screws wouldn’t be seen) and use 3M auto badge tape to secure bottom and sides. Therefore, the shape has to match the gill space closely.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Get a really good set of vernier calipers and a digital angle gague large enough to measure the area you will be working with. You need a set of perfect measurements of the area you will be working with, but you can largely ignore the rest of the car. Start with the easiest measurement point as an anchor location. Ideally find something paralell or 90 degree angle to the ground, and build your measurements from there.

Sounds dumb, but have you tried googling around for a cad file of the grill? I’ve found stuff for my car. There might also be mechanical drawings around.

Steve that’s a brilliant idea. Will do. Thanks!

And just curious… what have you printed for your car?