Best Slicing Software

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
ttabbal

Re: Best Slicing Software

Post by ttabbal » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:30 am

Thank you! That is an insanely stupid patent. How the hell else would you generate supports? Project a line and build around it. Duh. How I hate USPTO. I'm getting to the point that my first order of business in my imagined "king for a day" would be to obliterate all Patents and Copyrights.

And yes, that alone is reason to shun S3D. Guess I need to use some time over the long weekend to tune Slicer and Cura a little better. Cura with the Lulzbot profiles is pretty good, other than overextrusion on the first layer and a couple little things. I would like a few more options on some prints though, and Slicer sounds like it handles things like thin walls better, which S3D is completely useless with anyway.

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:16 pm

ttabbal,

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/9524357.html

You're free to discuss S3D here, but I may rebuke you. ;)

Glad to see you're also concerned about software patents.

Thanks,

-Jeff

PdxSteve

Post by PdxSteve » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 am

It's like Apple getting a patent for the shape of the iphone and ipad, which most devices use to one degree or another. It's just a rectangle with rounded corners. The people in the patent office need their collective heads examined.

piercet

Post by piercet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:01 am

I'm going to get a patent on the "submitting a patent" process. That will show them all!