Any software can enable MINI the runtime functionality siilar to that of TAZ?

Hi all,
I’m a happy owner of my Mini for 1 year now. However, after purchasing my second printer, Taz5, about 5 months ago I have learned to love it even more. I used to think that TAZ is just going to bring me a bigger build volume over Mini. But it has turned out to offer more than that.

What I have found especially useful in TAZ are the runtime functionalities. From the LCD display I can tune the filament flow, temperatures, etc. during the actual printing. I can consistently pause the print and change filament even after 10 hours. This is not possible in Cura due to interface hanging. Most importantly I can change the printing speed too. This has enabled me to get a better control of my print whenever I see things starting to go wrong.

I have so far used Cura as my software for slicing and printing. I was wondering if someone knows and could recommend me a software that is able to bring the Mini printer same level of runtime functions as the TAZ LCD interface provides?

BR,
Juho

There’s a couple options, although maybe none quite as good

First, if you’re OK keeping a computer connected to your printer, and are willing to spend a decent amount of time tweaking, Printrun/pronterface has a system for custom buttons & macros. It’s highly customizable for whatever features you’re missing. I’m also not aware of any crashes or problems running it for long periods. Here’s some good information on getting that set up. Unfortunately it requires a good knowledge of g-code to get more advanced functionality.

Another option, and my personal favorite, is OctoPrint. It’s designed to run off a Raspberry PI or similar linux machine to allow you to control prints wirelessly.

Many people use MatterControl, which is basically a slightly more simple/streamlined version of OctoPrint.

All of the above options definitely have all of the functionality of Cura, and if you know/willing to look up g-code, you can do most of the advanced stuff either with macros or manually.

All of the USB-based control interfaces I have used (Cura, S3D, Octoprint, etc.) provide some form of speed control, extrusion control, and temperature control during the print. It is easier in some (i.e., predefined buttons and sliders), but anything that provides a terminal window where you can send Gcodes will suffice:

• Speed can be scaled up/down using a percentage value with the M220 command; i.e., “M220 S75” will slow all movement to 75% of normal.
  • Extrusion can be scaled up/down using a percentage value with the M221 command; i.e., “M221 S110” would increase extrusions to 110% of normal.
  • Extruder temp can be changed with M104; i.e., “M104 S240” would set the extruder to 240C.
  • Bed temp can be changed with M140; i.e., “M140 S90” would set the bed to 90C.

Of course all that (or any usb-based control interface) assumes you have a stable USB connection over which to send commands. If your Windows or Mac computer has problems keeping a USB connection, then something like Octoprint on a RPi may provide better reliability.

Thanks for your replys Hexane and ScottW. Your suggestions are new to me. I will definitely learn to use the command line terminal more effectively. I didn’t know such runtime tweaks are possible even in Cura.

BR,
Juho