Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
John Mc
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:16 pm
Location: Vermont

Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by John Mc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:52 am

I'm trying to make some simple firmware edits for my Mini using a Mac running Mac OS 10.12.2.

I downloaded the Arduino 1.6.9 software and the "Arduino add-ons", but can't figure out how to merge the two, since the Mac files seem to be different from the Windows ones (and all the descriptions I'm finding are for doing this in Windows). Also is 1.6.9 even the version I should be using? I've heard it works, just wondering if I could/should be starting out with a more recent version.

Any guidance in getting my Mac set up for this would be appreciated.

John Mc
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:16 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by John Mc » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Am I really the only one trying to use Arduino IDE on a Mac?

User avatar
piercet
Posts: 4028
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 am
Location: Battleground, WA
Contact:

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by piercet » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:58 am

Quite possibly.

John Mc
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:16 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by John Mc » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:38 am

Well, that's a bummer.

I would guess that the Arduino software version would be the same as for Windows,so if I knew which version of that to download, I'd at least be partway there. The only other part I need is figuring out where to put the Add-ons files. On the Mac, the arduino files contents are hidden inside the "package" that shows up as the Arduino icon. I know how to display the package contents, but since the file structure and folders that are revealed are a different layout than windows, I don't know where to drop the add-ons files.

kmanley57
Posts: 1111
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by kmanley57 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:18 pm

John Mc wrote: I don't know where to drop the add-ons files.
How about in your home directory Documents folder, maybe there is a Arduino folder. YMMV.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

John Mc
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:16 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by John Mc » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:22 pm

kmanley57 wrote:
John Mc wrote: I don't know where to drop the add-ons files.
How about in your home directory Documents folder, maybe there is a Arduino folder. YMMV.
No, on the Mac, if you go to the applications folder, the application icon for Arduino is really a folder of sorts (they call it a "package"). You can double click on the icon, and the program will launch. If you Control-click on the icon, you get a pop-up menu where one of the options is "show package contents". Choosing that, I get a hierarchy of folders. In one of these are the quickprint profiles for various filaments. I just can't figure where to put the add-ons files in here. If I knew some existing files that are in the same location, I could search for those and drop the appropriate add-ons there. Any suggestions?

I'm also still wondering if Arduino 1.6.9 is the appropriate version to start with. ScottW is using it (but not on a Mac), so I know it will work. Just wondering if there is a reason to download a more recent version.

kmanley57
Posts: 1111
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by kmanley57 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:49 pm

John Mc wrote:
kmanley57 wrote:
John Mc wrote: I don't know where to drop the add-ons files.
How about in your home directory Documents folder, maybe there is a Arduino folder. YMMV.
No, on the Mac, if you go to the applications folder, the application icon for Arduino is really a folder of sorts (they call it a "package"). You can double click on the icon, and the program will launch. If you Control-click on the icon, you get a pop-up menu where one of the options is "show package contents". Choosing that, I get a hierarchy of folders. In one of these are the quickprint profiles for various filaments. I just can't figure where to put the add-ons files in here. If I knew some existing files that are in the same location, I could search for those and drop the appropriate add-ons there. Any suggestions?

I'm also still wondering if Arduino 1.6.9 is the appropriate version to start with. ScottW is using it (but not on a Mac), so I know it will work. Just wondering if there is a reason to download a more recent version.
Well that is where I put mine and the Arduino IDE saw them there an hour earlier, but maybe your Mac version is different than mine. :?:
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

John Mc
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:16 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by John Mc » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:07 pm

kmanley57 wrote: Well that is where I put mine and the Arduino IDE saw them there an hour earlier, but maybe your Mac version is different than mine. :?:
Where did you put yours? Just in the upper level of the Arudino "package", or in one of the subdirectories?

kmanley57
Posts: 1111
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by kmanley57 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:31 am

It is not really a part of the package, but just where it looks for libraries also.. The Mac is currently ''battery dead' so I will need to recharge it first. But I did see 'problems' using the latest version of the IDE, as it wants to update the u8lib library which will break compiling Marlin. and that they no longer are developing the old version that is in the add-ons for Arduino. So you might want to try an older version of the Arduino IDE to get Marlin to compile right now.

There were also command syntax changes introduced into the new version that cause errors while trying to compiling Marlin as is.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

gapdev
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:55 pm
Location: Dana Point, CA

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by gapdev » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I use Arduino on my Mac, every day.

What is the exact problem you are having?

I didn't respond before because I don't have a Mini but a TAZ, and the mini doesn't use a Rambo, does it?

When I Flash a New firmware, I don't follow Lulzbot's instructions because they are woefully out of date.

To flash the Rambo, you use the Arduino Board Manager to install a Rambo board.

Preferences Menu, down at the bottom, "Additional Boards Manager URLs"

Add this to the List of URL's

Code: Select all

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ultimachine/ArduinoAddons/master/package_ultimachine_index.json
Close Preferences, go to Tools/Board and at the Top of the List of Boards is the Board Manager. In the Board Manger, find "RepRap Arduino-compatible Mother Board (RAMBo)", and Install it.

You will now have a Rambo as one of your boards.

All you do is select it as a board and flash away.

However, if the Mini doesn't use a Rambo, then this won't work.

Kenny

Post Reply