Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
John Mc

Re: Mini firmware editing on a Mac

Post by John Mc » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for the reply, Kenny. My problem is not with actually flashing the firmware (I've been using Cura for that). I'd like to get set up to edit it a bit. As I understand it, to do that, I need the Arduini IDE software (which I have downloaded) and some Arduino add-ons (which I downloaded from the Lulzbot site). My problem is in combining the two. All of the directions I've found are for doing the combining in Windows. The directory structure is different on the Mac, so I'm not sure where to put the files.

I'd resort to "trial and error" on placing the files, but I'm not sure what will happen if Arduino can't find the appropriate files, tries to compile a revised firmware without them, and I flash that.

gapdev

Post by gapdev » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:57 pm

If you can point me to the link you are using that gives the "Windows" Instructions, I should be able to tell you how to do it on a Mac.

I don't use the Standard Installation locations since I put my Arduino on Dropbox so it can be shared amoungst all my computers, but...

When you run Arduino for the 1st time, it will create a Folder in your Documents directory called Arduino.

Inside this folder you will find Hardware and Libraries.

Your source code goes in this Arduino Folder.

So, to edit the firmware, you would create a directory called Firmware (inside the Arduino Folder that is inside your Documents Folder). All the Firmware source code goes in this Firmware folder.

If Lulzbot is telling you to download and install Libraries, then the Libraries would go inside the Libraries folder.

If they are telling you to add stuff to your "hardware" directory, then that directory would be the hardware folder inside your Arduino directory.

I believe Windows does it pretty much the same.

It's been a long time since I've added stuff to this hardware directory since that is the old method of doing things.

Kenny

John Mc

Post by John Mc » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks, guys.

Kmanley57 had it back in post 5 (and again in post 7) in this thread. The problem is, there was no Arduino folder in my Documents folder, since I had never run the Arduino program.

When Gapdev (Kenney) said "When you run Arduino for the 1st time, it will create a Folder in your Documents directory called Arduino." I realized I had never run it.

I ran Arduino, then quit, and there was the directory I needed to put the add-ons files, right where Kmanley57 said it would be.

I'll finally get to poke around a bit now.

John