TAZ 4 to TAZ 6 Upgrade

The TAZ 4 firmware does not recognize the end stops when I upgraded the printer to TAZ 6 hardware. Does anyone know where in the TAZ 4 firmware I can modify the endstop code to make this work?

The wiring is the same for the taz 4 and 6, the difference is the 6 adds xyz maximum endstop and replaces the z minimum endstop with the auto leveling system. If it isn’t triggering you have something plugged in wrong (x min endstop in the y min plug, etc. )

The funny thing about the max endstop on the X is that it’s not included on any toolhead other than the single. Note that they are normally closed switches. You’ll want to connect to the far end terminals of each switch. Break out your multimeter if needed.

I upgraded my TAZ 4 to the TAZ 6 following the OHAI kit instructions and the end stops don’t work when I load the TAZ 6 firmware. After I found out the endstops weren’t working w/ the TAZ 6 firmware I re-loaded the TAZ 4 firmware so I could at least print some parts for my business.

Now the endstops are not working with the TAZ 4 firmware.

I called Lulzbot tech support. They used to have some pretty tech savy people there to help with things like this over the phone…no longer is that the case. Now they tell me they don’t help with upgrades anymore.

I bought two TAZ’s because they were voted most upgradable printer several years in a row. They are not living up to that reputation anymore.

I may have blown 3 RAMBO boards trying to get this right…not a happy TAZ camper anymore.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Does anyone know the code that causes the hot end to tap the button switch on the TAZ 6 as an estimate for the z min before tapping the first bed corner and then outputting an error if the hot end goes too low because it does not make electrical contact w/ the bed corner?

I’m might try a fourth RAMBO board in this TAZ 4 to TAZ 6 upgrade and stick w/ the TAZ 4 firmware. I just need to get that code so I can place it into the TAZ 4 firmware.

I spent a lot of time and money on components to upgrade my two TAZ 4’s to TAZ 6’s. I’m hoping I can stop the bleeding of time and money and finally get to printing for my business with these printers.

Any help is appreciated.

It’s part of the Gcode preamble setup. It’s in the text of this file I think: http://devel.lulzbot.com/print-profiles/cura/TAZ_single_extruder_0.5nozzle/ABS_high-quality_TAZ_single-extruder_0.5noz_cura.ini Specifically in this section:

start.gcode = ;Sliced at: {day} {date} {time} ;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density} ;Print time: {print_time} ;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g ;Filament cost: {filament_cost} ;M190 R{print_bed_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line ;M109 R{print_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line G21 [b];metric values G90 ;absolute positioning M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode M107 ;start with the fan off G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed};move the platform down 15mm G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length G1 F200 E0 ; extrude 3mm of feed stock G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length again G1 [/b]F{travel_speed} ; set travel speed M203 X192 Y208 Z3 ; speed limits M117 Printing

Thanks Piercet,

I’m looking for the code that will say uh oh the hot end went 1.5 mm (or whatever) lower than its supposed to go when it taps the first corner washer so go back and wipe the nozzle, tap the button switch and try again.

Is that in Cura? I would think that’s in an if then statement?

That is the code I believe. It sets the extruder to absolute positioning instead of relative, moves it to endstop point g0 then to g1 and down 15mm , and sets that point to relative zero. I’m guessing those points are stored in firmware itself somewhere. You could check the slic3r profiles as well. The if then logic is in the taz 6 firmware if it’s anywhere probably in main.h or whatever the large marlin code file is called in the uncompiled firmware.

What you are looking for is in the printer firmware. But it does not go back to find Z0 which is what the button tap does/is. But the wipe and washer/corner re-probe is in the firmware.

Inventabuild, you are not alone. I am suffering from the same thing. The nozzle does not home over the z end stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJGKCrU7_8

I think we have the same issue maybe? Sorry this is not a solution.

My end stops were working with the TAZ 4 firmware and they blew up when I went to the TAZ 6 firmware.

From 4 to 6 I added the additional end stops and the button switch.

Did you add anything else like additional electronic components, resistors, etc or just the new end stops and the button switch?

I had a Taz 6 that did that on a toolhead I was working on and the X max sense was reverse wired.

I’m doing a hack to make everything work, but I need to know where the code is in the Marlin firmware that uses the button switch for the first approximation of z = 0 and then watches to make sure the hot end doesn’t go too low when it attempts to make electrical contact with the first corner washer due to no electrical contact with the washer.

Cura tells the hot end where to go, but Marlin watches to make sure the hot end doesn’t go too low when it attempts to make contact w/ the corner washer.

Does anyone know where this code is in Marlin?