Birth of new Taz 6 clone

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
zedwizz

Birth of new Taz 6 clone

Post by zedwizz » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:40 am

Hi all

Just wanted to share some pictures of my newly finished Taz 6 clone. Most of the work has been done and now its time for my not so favourite part the electronics... :shock:

Got the Rambo 1.3 yesterday and installed it into the control box, plugged in all the looms, installed the firmware through cura 21.04 and now everything is up and running apart from the stepper motors just click and not rotate when i try to home the printer??

Is this something to do with the software or the stepper motors i'm using (17HS3001-20B)??? Do i need the moon's steppers the factory Taz 6 comes with?

If anyone can point me in the right direction ill be most happy.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
My Taz 6 (4).jpg
My Taz 6 (3).jpg
My Taz 6 (2).jpg
My Taz 6 (1).jpg

piercet

Re: Birth of new Taz 6 clone

Post by piercet » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Nice looking clone! Did you make a metal upper corner box?

The stepper motor pinout may be different than the Taz motors. A stepper motor has two magnetic coils in it, that work to reinforce the rotation and enhance precsion of the rotation. if you have only one coil energized, the motor will turn but weekly. If you have two coils energized correctly it will turn strongly. if you have one coil in opposition to the other, you will get no rotation at all and the shaft will vibrate and click a bunch as one coil tries to overcome the other. it is also possible to have it wired so that both coils are shorted. Chances are thats what you are dealing with. Looking at the model number that particular motor is also a half height motor, suitable for extruders but may not have enough torque on its own to operate the bed or the leadscrews. I'd expect it to still be able to move the X axis though. Here is a link showing the pinout. https://www.3dp2go.com/nema17-stepper-m ... p-213.html AB and CD are the two coilsIf A and C are both negative for example, the motor would operate correctly.

zedwizz

Post by zedwizz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply piercet that helped a lot and now i have all 5 steppers running :D now just got to work out why sometimes (not all the time) its not touching some of the auto level washers.

Yes the upper corners are made from aluminium so to are both Z lowers, x carriage and the interconnect housing.
Attachments
TAZ6 (2).jpg
TAZ6 (1).jpg

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:48 pm

You're welcome! i think that's the first silver painted Taz i've seen so far. Neat!

zedwizz

Post by zedwizz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Thats a naked TAZ 6 without the paint :shock:

Done a few prints on the new TAZ but im getting inconsistent bed levelling. sometimes the nozzle is as far as 5 mill of the bed any ideas?

piercet

Post by piercet » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Z motor coupler slipping is the most likely cause. If its not that, you might have binding somewhere. When you assemble a new 3d printer, if you tighten the X axis rods before you mount it on the Z axis for example, you can end up with excess pressure in or out on the z leadscrews or bearings, which can in turncause one of the leadscrews to drag a bit and not rotate fully. Or your motors just don't have enough coils to consistantly turn the leadscrews at the same rate at all times. You're using motors with half the coils of the stock Taz motors so that is a very real possibility.

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I do not think half height motors have enough torque for the load on the Z rods.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

zedwizz

Post by zedwizz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:51 am

Yes that makes sense I'll order two moons steppers (unless there is any other suitable motor?) For the z axis and see how it goes.

Thanks guys.

piercet

Post by piercet » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 am

The moons ones are good quality and seem to be quieter than the older stock Taz 5 style. Most of the full height ones should do the trick though. But you know the moons motors ones will work for a fact.

zedwizz

Post by zedwizz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 am

So ive installed two new moon's steppers on the Z but im still having random probe results :( .

When i start the print the machine will do all the normal stuff before probing then on a random corner of the build plate the head will come down and touch the washer, go up as if to start the 'slowly down to touch the washer part' but instead go up about 10mm then slowly come down but it is now so far away from the washer it times out and moves to the next corner which it may do the same thing or do a text book probing :?

These are my electronic parts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3DMakerWorld- ... 2749.l2649

Things done so far.

replaced both Z steppers with moon's. (should i replace the other 3 (x,y and extruder) would having different steppers effect the electronics ????)
Old steppers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nema-17-Bipol ... 2749.l2649
i have replaced the LCD adaptor with the Luzbot LCD loom.
Bed level check done. ( i've put a spacer under the nozzle and manual checked the distance from the nozzle to the bed in most places and it check out ok)
Re-installed firmware using CURA luzbot ed.

is there anything else i should look at ??