Need to shutdown the printer at the end of printing

Hi,

I got my Taz 6 last week and I LOVE it. I have all sorts of 3D designs I have been building up over the last several months as I got progressively more serious about the purchase.

Many of these prints take hours and I need to leave the printer alone and I will not be present when it finishes up. So, I want things to be shut down as much as possible at the end of printing.

Normally, the bed cools off to somewhere around 45 then the bed moves forward at the end of printing. I tried inserting M140 S0 just before the very last line of the “End Gcode” in the advanced settings (after the bed is moved forward upon cooling to around 45 or whatever the default code says). On one occasion it seemed to work, but yesterday, the bed never moved forward and only cooled off to the default setting. So, something I did messed up the code. What should I insert (and where?) into the default end gcode to turn off the bed heater completely.

Also, the fans seem to continue turning at a slow speed despite the default code (M107, as I recall) should be turning the fans completely off. Is there a way to get them to turn completely off.

Alternatively, It would be fine by me if the printer were to shut off completely at the end of the print job. Is there a GCode instruction to make this happen?

-Tony

I stead of messing with the gcode, I set my printer up with webcams for streaming video and connected my printer to a wifi enabled power outlet. When I see that the print is done I just use the app on my phone to shut down the entire machine a few minutes after the cool down process has run its course. Some people do this with octoprint I guess, but im not a fan of octoprint. I just stream multiple cameras through youtube live streaming so I can see my computer screen with the GUI and can check in on the printer from my iPhone’s browser. If I see an issue or the printer clogs or something doesnt look right, I just shut down the power then head to the office and see whats wrong.

If yiou want to do it in your gcode, make the changes on the .ini file for the profile and save them so that everytime you load that profile the gcode will do what you want it to.

That’s a cool idea to live stream the video I had not heard of a web-enabled power supply or power strip. I will look for them

Do you need your internet service provider to give you a fixed IP address for live streaming?

As for the Gcode, I have found that a command of
M140 S0. Right after the last M190… code will shut down the bed completely.

The fans DO get shut down automatically in the original Gcode, except for the middle fan which blows on the extruder head. That is on, at least a little, ALL the time. It comes on immediately when you power up the TAZ so I bet there is no way to make it go off completely without de-powering the entire rig the way you do it.

-Tony

Not for everyone… Home automation systems can be used to turn off a plug when the bed stops moving. I use a Smartthings Hub with a motion sensor and smart plug. Also add in a delay before shutting the printer down in case I’m doing consecutive prints. Put a smoke/fire detector near the printer for extra safety (turn off plug, send a text, blink lights… etc). Since its cloud based you can check for bed motion when away.

If you use Octoprint, I think there’s a plugin to control a relay board via the GPIO.

Well, you have a great system! I will look into trying to make something similar!