Cura LE 2.6.66 firmware flash vs OctoPrint

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
ScottW

Re: Cura LE 2.6.66 firmware flash vs OctoPrint

Post by ScottW » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:53 pm

John Mc wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:39 pm
This might still be an issue, since OctoPrint uses an old version of Cura? Or maybe not, since the communications with the printer in OctoPrint are not handled through the Cura engine?
Nope - The cura plugin on Octoprint just slices the file, it isn't responsible for communication. The sliced file is then sent to the printer by Octoprint itself, just as it would send a file sliced on computer and uploaded to Octoprint. I am aware of only one communications issue between 1.1.5.xx and Octoprint, related to dual-extruder temperature reporting, and that was fixed in 1.1.5.71.

Where I think there *may* be a problem (I don't know, and haven't tested) is with direct USB control by Cura21 of a printer running the new firmware.... I've seen some references to changes made in Cura 2.6 to support Marlin's Advanced_OK support and fix various comm errors, which I interpreted as something needed but missing from Cura21 as well. That may not be the case. Hopefully someone who has tested it will jump in here and verify one way or the other.

John Mc

Post by John Mc » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 pm

ScottW wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:53 pm
Where I think there *may* be a problem (I don't know, and haven't tested) is with direct USB control by Cura21 of a printer running the new firmware.... I've seen some references to changes made in Cura 2.6 to support Marlin's Advanced_OK support and fix various comm errors, which I interpreted as something needed but missing from Cura21 as well. That may not be the case. Hopefully someone who has tested it will jump in here and verify one way or the other.
Hopefully, since OctoPrint is controlling - and Cura is not in this instance - revisions of OctoPrint will keep up with the changes in Marlin. (AFAIK, no one is working on an updated Cura Engine plug-in for OctoPrint. It sounds as though that is a major task, and I'm guessing not all that many people are in my situation where they really need to be able to do at least basic slicing on a Raspberry Pi running OctoPrint.)
Last edited by John Mc on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:44 pm

John Mc wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 pm
Hopefully, since OctoPrint ins controlling, and Cura is not in this instance, revisions of OctoPrint will keep up with the changes in Marlin. (AFAIK, no one is working on an updated Cura Engine plug-in for OctoPrint. It sounds as though that is a major task, and I'm guessing not all that many people are in my situation where they really need to be able to do at least basic slicing on a Raspberry Pi running OctoPrint.)
Agreed...

I have sent a BUNCH of prints (sliced on computer, combination of Cura2, Simplify3d, and Slic3r) via Octoprint and haven't had any kind of communications issue between Octoprint and the Printer. Gina is really responsive, so if there ever is an issue I'm sure there will be a quick fix. The only issue I've heard of with 1.1.5.xx is what I mentioned with dual-extruder temperature reports over-running the Octoprint (python actually) buffer, and 1.1.5.71 slowed the dual-extruder temperature reports slightly to prevent that.

The on-board slicer (Octoprint Cura plugin) is a nice feature, but I get the impression it is used by a minority -- most users are slicing on a computer, then uploading to Octoprint. But there are definitely certain use cases (like yours, with the school) where the plugin and the control it gives over profiles makes a lot of sense. With the rapid changes to the Cura2 engine, I don't think anyone has wanted to tackle trying to adapt it for an Octoprint plugin. Hopefully as it matures and the change rate declines, that will change.

John Mc

Post by John Mc » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm already in communication with Gina about this. You're right, she is very responsive.