Simplify3D and Lulzbot Mini settings

Can anyone share their settings for getting Simplify3D to work with the Lulzbot Mini? I’m not able to establish a connection and I’m sure it has to do with improper setting I have inside of Simplify3D. Is there an .ini file to import, or I can just adjust the settings manualy if you have a good setting that works. Thank you so much.

If your not connecting at all, it is probably the baud rate. That changed in recent Mini firmware.

In Simplify3d, click “Edit process settings” then go to the G-Code tab. The Baud rate is at the lower right. For older Mini firmwares, it should be 115200. For the newer 1.1.5.xx builds, it should be 250000.

I may be able to send you a Simplify3D profile that includes all common filaments. Problem is – because start gcode is embedded and that’s different for different extruders and firmware, I need to know what firmware version and extruder you have. Send me a PM and we can discuss further.

I’ve gotten some other inquiries about this, so I’m just going to post the file here for anyone who wants it – WITH SOME CAVEATS AND EXPLANATIONS regarding what needs to be changed based on what Firmware and Extruder is being used.

This particular Simplify3D profile is for a Lulzbot Mini with Aerostruder. If you have a Flexistruder or Standard Extruder, you will need to make one change in the start Gcode for each material. Find the line in the Starting Script “G1 E-15 F150” and change the -15 to -30.

This particular Simplify3D profile is for a Lulzbot Mini with firmware 1.1.5.68 or later (tested up through 1.1.8.4). If you have an older firmware, I recommend updating to at least 1.1.5.68.
Otherwise, to use this profile with firmware earlier than 1.1.5.68:
(1) The baud rate for newer 1.1.5.xx releases is 250000, so that’s what this file contains. Older 1.1.5.xx releases, and pre-1.1.5 releases used 115400, so you’d need to change that (“Edit Process Settings, G-Code, Baud rate”).
(2) Newer 1.1.5.xx releases changed X_Min from 0 to -3, and this start script positions the head to X-2 in multiple lines. For older releases (including early 1.1.5.xx releases), change those X-2 references to X1 for each Material so it doesn’t try to move the toolhead below X_Min.
(3) Newer 1.1.5.xx releases changed Y_Max from 191 to 190 and Y_Min from -6 to -7. That effectively changed the center of the wiper pad (reduced by 1mm) in new firmware, and these scripts expect that new location. If you use older firmware (including early 1.1.5.xx releases), you will need to increase the Y coordinate by 1 on all the wiping lines. Change Y173 to Y174, change Y171 to Y172, Y181 to Y182, and Y181.5 to Y182.5 in the start script for each material.

The start gcode for each material contains an extra wipe sequence located just behind the standard wipe pad. That is designed to work with a dual wiper mount (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1976831). If you don’t have the second wiper, you can either ignore the extra wipe motion (which will occur “in air” behind the original pad, not hurting anything), or you will need to remove the (6) lines marked with “; --” to eliminate the second wipe sequence from the start Gcode for each material.

The start gcode includes a “priming blob” extruded near the left-front washer. If you don’t want that, then edit the start gcode for each material to replace the 4 gcode lines starting with “G1 Z0.6 E0 F125” with a single line “G1 E0 F125” (these four lines are near the end of the file, just before the final “G92 E0” line).

The Ending Gcode moves the bed to center when ready for part removal, rather than to the front. That’s because I print with Octoprint, which I have configured to snap and email a photo when the print file is complete (and then Octoprint moves the bed the rest of the way forward). If you don’t use Octoprint (or do, but don’t want to configure it for the snapshot/email) – then replace the “G1 Y80 F1000” line with “G1 Y189 F1000” in the Ending Gcode for each Material, so the bed will move fully to the front once the bed is cooled.

By default, Simplify3D only associates (4) settings (Temp, BedTemp, ExtrusionMultiplier, FanSpeed) with each Material, and only (5) settings (LayerHeight, SolidTopLayers, SolidBottomLayers, SkirtLayers, SupportInfillPct) with each “Quality” setting. All other settings are global, meaning you change it for one material or quality – it changes it for all. I restructured the settings file to make 20+ settings unique for each Material choice, and 30+ settings unique to each Quality choice. That makes it a lot easier to have a single profile, where changing settings for one Material or Quality doesn’t “step on” the settings you perfected for another Material or Quality choice.

This Profile supports (10) Materials, with a “High Detail”, “Medium”, and “Fast” Quality choice for each. An 11th Material, T-Glase, is implemented slightly differently than the others: There are two Material choices (TGlase-Clarity, TGlase-Strength) and two matching Quality choices – these should be used together (and only) for T-Glase, rather than using the Detail/Medium/Fast Quality choices.

A Material choice for Ninjaflex is included. If you have a Standard Extruder, ignore or delete that Material choice. I do not recommend trying to print Ninjaflex on the Mini unless you have the Flexistruder or Aerostruder. (I have been able to print Cheetah with the standard extruder, though).

THIS IS ALWAYS A WORK IN PROGRESS… I absolutely do not represent these as perfect or best settings, just what I currently use – and I frequently make small adjustments for specific parts. They should at least provide a good starting point (you’ll still want to fine-tune for specific parts, based on infill needed, support requirements, etc., just as with any slicer). But the main benefit of this profile is the restructuring, such that more settings are unique for each Material and Quality choice rather than being global for all Material and Quality choices.

Link to file (located on OneDrive): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj5_Sqpk1E8cvyJaFrUOcBNfLgJl
(Download and Save as “Lulzbot Mini Aerostruder.FFF”).

Import the file to Simplify3d using “File, Import FFF Profile”. Then click “Edit Process Settings”, and use the “Select Profile:” dropdown box to choose the “Lulzbot Mini Aerostruder” profile you imported.

Whew… Hope this helps someone. Sorry for the wall of text, but I didn’t want to just post the profile without all the background and instructions, because with all the recent firmware changes, different toolheads, and other customizations available – there is no “one size fits all” any more.

Thanks for all the hard work!
I’d been giving Cura 2 a try with my new aerostruder, but I just loaded this up into Simplify and am going to mess around with it.
I got aerostruders for both my Mini and Taz 6 this winter and have fallen back into 3D printing after having become disenchanted with several performance issues with the stock extruder heads and old cura.
Trying to go from click and print to really knowing how to tweak things and well written posts like this plus sharing knowledge make me hopeful that I can get beyond novice and move into enthusiast.

Big thanks to ScottW! It works great with my first gen lulzbot mini and extruder.

Just made an account to say how much I appreciate your profile upload! I think it deserves it’s own thread. Please keep us updated! Thanks again!

Many many thanks!

Thanks for the FFF, works great.

I have a bunch of stuff in here. Pay attention to the heads as I have an Aerostruder v1 in there as well; https://github.com/youcangetme/Simplify3DProfilesTaz6

1 Like