For this development cycle we wanted to produce the most bug-free Marlin we possibly could, even if it meant holding back some features and ignoring our itch to experiment. It would've been great to release Marlin 1.1.9 in March, but we were getting a lot of reports about layer shifts, unpredictable and hard to pin down. The issue didn't affect everyone, but was too prominent to ignore. Once we turned on the lights we discovered a lot of sneaky bugs hiding in the planner. We undertook a major analysis and rewrite of the planner/stepper code. The resulting planner is much smarter and more robust than any previous version of Marlin, and this should be noticeable in your print jobs.
A full list of upstream work/fixes that have been completed can be found here: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/releases
We have also enabled printer statistic tracking. This now logs:
- Total Print Count
- Total Prints Completed
- Total Print Time
- Longest Print
- Total Filament Extruded
We have improved the change filament function by adding a custom temp setting.
Layer shift while pausing via GLCD appears no longer appears present (~20 tests so far)
While we continue to test this internally, if anyone would like to give it a try the newer versions can be found here: http://devel.lulzbot.com/software/Marlin/ In order to print via Cura LE, go to Preferences > Configure Cura > Allow Connections to Wrong Printers. Just be sure to select the proper printer and tool head .hex file when uploading custom firmware.
If you run into any issues, or have requests about something functioning differently please let us know!