Support guidance needed....

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
nopick

Re: Support guidance needed....

Post by nopick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:56 pm

What does that layer look like when you scroll through the gcode?

printergirl

Post by printergirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:00 am

Pardon my ignorance :D
I can open the gcode, view the settings, but I honestly have no idea how to find an exact layer in the gcode.

nopick

Post by nopick » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:51 am

You will be viewing a 2d or 3d representation of the extrusion produced by the printer, for each layer, based on the gcode. Not just viewing the gcode text itself. It might let you see why that layer is so ugly. It looks like the supports are too far away from the first layer of the part. I don't recall seeing anything in Slic3r to adjust support offsets, but, in Cura you can manipulate how far away from the part in x, y and z the supports are built. It is a pretty handy feature.

You can do it online, here: http://gcode.ws/

Repetier Host has a nice viewer and so does Cura. I didn't use Pronterface much so, I don't remember how it handles gcode viewing.

printergirl

Post by printergirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:01 am

Thanks for the link!
I loaded my gcode and found the layer in question, but not really sure what I'm looking for.

nopick

Post by nopick » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:49 am

I was thinking there might be a bug in the slicing where the supports are ending too far away from the first layer of the part. You might be able to identify that in the 3d gcode view if there was an obvious gap between the supports and part.

Is the surface we are looking at in your picture the supported surface or are the supports on the inside of the object, holding up the surface we are looking at?

Edit: I just looked at the picture again and I see that this was the supported surface. When you removed the supports, were they firmly attached or did they just pop right off? Were they attached to the supported surface or were they just attached to the circumference of the part? It just looks like that first layer was not supported well and was basically bridging the gap.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:09 am

In slic3r you should be able to adjust the interface layer and spacing, but I prefer to draw support structures into the model a lot of times.

A good description of support options in slic3r is available at http://forum.lulzbot.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=565#p2873

printergirl

Post by printergirl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:36 am

Nopick:
I do not notice any obvious gaps between the support and part. The support comes out good for the most part (especially since I have the interface layer set to 0).
Yes, the surface in the picture is the supported surface.

Gannon:
As I mentioned above, I have been using the interface layer at 0. This does not help that surface quality.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I cannot share the actual .stl and .gcode files due to proprietary reasons, I created and printed a fake part to show the issue. I have attached 4 files into a zip file of a sample part with support
1) orientation.jpg - shows how I printed the piece
2) supprt_issue.jpg - shows the surface with the issue
3) test.stl
4) test1.gcode

* I cannot just flip it over and print w/o support. Since this is only a representation of the actual part, you can't see that I would need support the other way, as well.

FYI - I sent this information to Lulzbot for some help, but have gotten little help.
The best I've gotten back is to use dual extruders and print disolvable material for support.
I know this is an option, but I'm not set up for that yet.
Attachments
support_issue.zip
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 84 times

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:12 am

I looked through your posts but saw no mention of the interface spacing, oh well.
Have you considered printing the object as multiple parts and joining them together after printing?

printergirl

Post by printergirl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:54 am

Gannon:
When I said "mentioned above", that was in the same post, not previous posts. Sorry for confusion.
I can print this as multiple parts and glue together, but I shouldn't have to.

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:41 am

Ah, my misunderstanding then.
I hope you figure something out that works for you, but I doubt you will attain any results that are as good as from printing in multiple parts.
Slic3r 1.1.0 is still an experimental release, but there are some new things related to support in it that may help though.