Issues with prints pausing after Cura and firmware update

Hey gang,

I have a Lulzbot Mini 1 and I recently upgraded my Cura software to the latest version (3.2.23) and the latest firmware and since then, randomly my prints will just pause in the middle of a print job. The print-head and the bed will still be at print temperature when it pauses so when I come back to check my print the extruder has melted the area around where it stopped printing. The only way I can get it to start printing again is to cancel the print job and start again. If I re-start the print job without moving the object or adding/removing another object when I restart it, it will stop at the same spot again. In other words, if I don’t do something that forces the software to re-slice the object it will pause again in the same spot.

It doesn’t do this every time and it doesn’t do this one the same object I try to print. It seems totally random.

Needless to say this is frustrating and a waste of time and filament.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks,
Michael

Here’s a an example…

These 2 prints were printed back to back. The one on the right was orientated left-to-right on the print bed and the print on the left was rotated 90 degrees and re-printed. As you can see, both stopped at different heights during the print.

`Michael

After nearly 9 months of flawless operation I upgraded cura and my firmware today and I too have the same issue , different heights in the prints . It’s happening on every print so far :frowning:(

I upgraded Cura to the latest version (3.2.27), updated firmware, and continuing to have the same issue. I made sure to clear out the cache before upgrading.

Mine doesn’t do it every time, but most times.

Any response from Lulzbot?

No response as of yet, I cleared my cache and tried a rockyupis which ran fine, it got a bit late last night so I’ll try a few other models and see what happens

I printed the Rockopus successfully as well, but tried printing something else directly after that and it paused again mid-print.

It’s quite frustrating , I’ll try a couple of other files tonight and report back

Ok after some messing about this evening with different installs ect

I’ve now narrowed the problem down to this , if the screen saver or display sleep are activated (OS X) the printer stops nearly 2 minutes after and resumes when woken

Hdd sleep is set to ‘never’

If I disable screensaver and/or display sleep I appear to have no issues

I’ve reverted to a previous version of cura (which runs more smoothly
Anyway) and tomorrow night I
May try reverting to the firmware
That came with he printer, which I seemed to have no issues with before the update

Thanks for the update. I had also reverted back to the older version of Cura and have not had an issue since.

I’m hoping they get that fixed because eventually I’d like to be able to use the new software.

~Michael

Hello Everyone,

We too noticed the stalling issues, and had been working on duplicating them. It appears to happen with more complex models, and it derives from a communication error between marlin and cura when printing through USB. (All the details here: https://code.alephobjects.com/T3157) We have a fix in place, and are currently testing on all differing operating systems to ensure it is stable on all platforms.

If you would like to give it a try, we would appreciate any feedback!

Cura 3.2.29 can be found here: http://devel.lulzbot.com/software/cura-lulzbot/

I actually took the opportunity to buy a raspberry pi and install octoprint for untethered printing .

It’s amazing! I would heartily reccomend it as it also allows webcam monitoring and printer control over the local network !
No more stalls and no more burning out my monitor

I also have this problem. I sometimes have success when I re-code but it does seem random. I use a SD card to print and when the machine stops, I can not interact with the LCD screen.

Just came here looking to post the same issue.

In my case, I recently installed version 3.2.27, and this also required me to update the firmware since the new version did not see my Mini. The version I had been using before was ancient, but I’ve never had any issues until this update. The last few days I have had many failed prints where they simply pause in the middle. Fortunately most have failed just a few minutes in, but a few were over an hour in to the print before stopping.

Has anybody resolved this issue? I’m wondering if I should grab a fresh version or roll back to an earlier version. (What version do you recommend trying if rolling back?)

Thanks for any help.

We too noticed the stalling issues, and had been working on duplicating them. It appears to happen with more complex models, and it derives from a communication error between marlin and cura when printing through USB. (All the details here: https://code.alephobjects.com/T3157) We have a fix in place, and are currently testing on all differing operating systems to ensure it is stable on all platforms.

If you would like to give it a try, we would appreciate any feedback!

Cura 3.2.29 can be found here: http://devel.lulzbot.com/software/cura-lulzbot/

Thanks, I’ll install that version tonight when I get home and try to run through some prints.

I’ll update with the results I get.

Edit: managed to get in about 4 hours of printing with no pauses. (2 different prints) These were prints with multiple objects, which were the ones that were pausing for me previously so this is a good sign.

The only odd thing that happened is that I got a popup to update my firmware again before the second print (I had just updated it before the first print)

I was having the same issue on a Mini after installing Cura 3.2.27 and doing the firmware update that it notified me of. Gears and other random prints would would just stop mid print. Sometimes the prints would stop at the same place. Sometimes different places.

I downloaded Cura 3.2.30 from the link provided and did the firmware update that it notified me of. Seems to have solved the problem! I have only done one print after the update but so far so good.

Thanks for getting this issue solved

Edit: I forgot I also changed the com port communication speed to 128000 in the device manager as recommended in the thread describing the troubleshooting of this problem.

Edit 2: I printed a couple of gears that failed consistently with Cura 3.2.27. They printed no problem with 3.2.30.

Chuck

Thank you for the confirmation! We think we have this one nailed down, and hope to have a stable release out in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for this answer!

I am having this issue. Currently using Cura 3.2.21 but will update after this post.

Some prints will pause for 5 -10 seconds and then start again, no problems. However, today, I was printing a simple box and after about 3 hrs into the print, it ‘paused’. The temp of the bed and hotend stayed up and the fans kept running but the hotend was just melting a blob in the print. Had to abort.