Z-axis offset woes

Get answers & advice for all of your 3D printing & Free Software needs here!
Athyrio

Z-axis offset woes

Post by Athyrio » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Some genius zeroed out the z-axis offset on a Taz5, and the firmware has since been upgraded. The printer now tries to print well above the stage.

Unfortunately the current version of the firmware seems to have eliminated from Advanced Settings the ability to check or change the z-axis offset option (probably a good idea). So, I switched to the Cura-based approach as outlined here: https://www.lulzbot.com/learn/tutorials/Z-axis-offset (which, interestingly, doesn't reflect the current firmware)

Sadly, the M851 command from the console returns nothing at all. To make sure it's not my cable or the printer, I checked M501, and got the usual eprom dump. I tried it on a properly functioning Taz5, and same result - M851 returns nothing, while M501 works fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how do deal with this, or what may have happened to the ability to read the offset? Has the offset simply been eliminated from these printers? If so, how do I get it printing on the bed? The printer is effectively bricked at this point, unless I want it to print nice random birds nests of filament.

~ Will

zachah
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Z-axis offset woes

Post by zachah » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:52 pm

The Taz 5 doesn't have any software offsets for you to adjust.

You need to adjust the the Z end-stop trigger adjustment thumbscrew.
3-4b.jpg.600x0_q85.jpg

Athyrio

Post by Athyrio » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:48 pm

I did that. I bring it to exactly stage level when it's homed. When it prints it does so a mm or two above the stage.

There used to be a z-axis offset in the Taz 5 firmware. It could be reached through Configuration / Advanced Settings (I know because I played with the setting once, and got exactly the behavior I'm seeing now.) The Lulzbot documentation says that it's there, and explains how to change it, but those methods don't seem to work anymore.

zachah
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by zachah » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:24 pm

It sounds like you just need to adjust that a little bit more.

Is there still room to move the thumbscrew clockwise?

You may also want to start from scratch and re-level the bed completely:
https://www.lulzbot.com/content/taz-bed-leveling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdB8jbXFfns

zamble

Post by zamble » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm having the same problem. Very frustrating. And yes the bed has been leveled. Any solutions?

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:37 pm

I loaded/installed the latest available Taz 5 single extruder firmware on Thursday and it printed without a problem so far. I did notice there is not a Z Axis offset in the LCD menu for that version(1.1.9.28).
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.