The assembly of the unit was mostly a breeze. The right laser holder had a print artifact that needed to be removed with a drill bit.
BQ's instructions were good (and in 7 languages!). It took less than an hour to get up and running even with the extra complication of the right laser holder and recording the whole thing.
I almost made the mistake of applying *both* chessboards to the marker. Don't do that.
I didn't realize I hadn't installed the BQ specific version of opencv on my laptop. I spent a day re-implementing the opencv controls to V4L - which worked fine, but the line wasn't very clean in Horus. Remember to use the BQ opencv build.
The workflow was fine with MeshLab. A few scans have been pretty rough, but a little tweaking usually helped them along. Here's my first completed workflow on display in Cura. Bet you can't guess what it is.
(spoilers - it's a small clay flowerpot)
Getting good meshes out of multicolored, dark colored and shiny objects has been a bit finicky. I peeked at the Development version to see some of the new features - there are actually separate configurations for the camera during the laser pass. That helps *immensely*. The current stable version uses a very low exposure setting, doesn't change saturation, etc. Some tweaking produced this (note the black portion of the box).
Here's what I'm doing for a backdrop/lighting. The wall works fine with nothing else. You can also see the same box scanned without camera tweaks - notice the black area is completely missing from the generated points.
A forum dedicated to the development of Free Software, Libre Innovation, and Open Source Hardware (FLO) 3D Scanners
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Informative post. This is about where I am with mine as well. Finding interesting subjects to scan is surprisingly difficult!