Flexystruder v2 jamming...

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
mattspaeth

Flexystruder v2 jamming...

Post by mattspaeth » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:35 pm

I'm using Ninjaflex 85A 3mm in my Flexystruder v2. The first handful of prints worked great, but now the filament is jamming and getting torn up by the extruder drive. The first time I was get it out by back it up manually and pulling. This time, it's pretty stuck.

I am wondering if this happened because I tried a print at 210F and it getting jammed caused the teeth within it to gum up. I was able to fully clear that jam and the nozzle was flowing well.

Any have any ideas/suggestions?

geburges

Re: Flexystruder v2 jamming...

Post by geburges » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:05 am

Your temp is lower than what I use. I have been very happy with the results that I get at 225C. Have you been using retraction? My best results have been with retraction turned off.

If you have the filament jammed in the extruder you may need to remove the hobbed bolt to clean the teeth.
George B. (TAZ 5)

kirispupis

Post by kirispupis » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:46 pm

I just had this problem too. I had to take apart the entire Flexystruder v2 to unjam it. I used the red Ninjaflex sold on Lulzbot.com. What I found is that the wheel that pulls the filament in scrapes it enough that the filament breaks apart and becomes too large to pull back through the hole. It looks like a design flaw in the FlexyStruder v2.

tekmaster

Post by tekmaster » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:38 am

This happened to me too.
I've just received my Flexystruder yesterday and it's already jammed...
Remember me old nightmares on cheaper and lower quality machines.
Hope Lulzbot is working on this issue.
I'll post some ugly pics.
I have to dissemble almost all the unit to get to the hot spot and remove big chunks of NinjaFlex.
Now it's time to reassemble it. Without any instructions or assembly notice other than the mounting instructions, I have to figure it out using my photos...
Anyway, my first 3 parts were just perfect! Smooth finish and near-perfect print. For the 3 first at last.
Attachments
Fichier 16-03-19 09 43 09.jpeg
Fichier 16-03-19 09 42 37.jpeg
Fichier 16-03-19 09 41 56.jpeg
Last edited by tekmaster on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Here are instructions on how to assemble the flexystruder:
https://ohai.lulzbot.com/project/flexystruder_assembly/

tekmaster

Post by tekmaster » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:27 am

Yes, I've seen this, but what I was looking for is for a service notice to avoid disassembling the hole thing.
Thanks for sharing anyway. :)

tekmaster

Post by tekmaster » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:41 am

I've successfully built a couple of parts in Ninjaflex last night, but the extruder jammed again... :evil:
Found that the serrated portion of the axe was not inline with the filament path. Played with the washer order (different than the assembly picture) and it was a lot better.
Print a coupe of parts again, but fail on the big one.
Looks like something interfere in the way of the filament. Maybe the FTFE tube. I'll push it upward to the hubbed gear to leave the smallest gap possible.
I'm wondering if the esteps count is pushing too fast the filament. Maybe I can slow this down in Cura. Not a pro with it, I'm new in business...
If anyone can help.
Attachments
Fichier 16-03-19 09 39 45.jpeg

tekmaster

Post by tekmaster » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:16 pm

After many tweaks, here are my conclusion:

The Flexystruder is ok for small parts, but issues are increasing with the length of filament spent.

I fully agree with kirispupis, this design is not ready for sale.
There are major flaws imho.
First: the hole diameter for the main serrated shaft is way too big, leaving a large gap between it and the housing. 8.2mm on the sla file as well as on the fabricated part vs a bolt diameter of 7.8 = .4 mm. Considering that the shaft itself may be slightly misaxed, this could represent an issue.
I'll try building a corrected part to fix this.
Second: the unit I received was not tuned. The filament path was not in line with the hobbed part of the bolt. Need to play with the washer order.
Third: Cura's default settings should turn off retraction and slow down the speed I think. Going backward with a flexible filament maybe tricky. I've also increased the nozzle temperature to 230 C (vs 222) in order to offer less resistance after the hoobed part.
Fourth: The PTFE part was so badly cut that it's leaving a really big gap between it and the shaft by more than 1.5mm. This is neatly inappropriate.
Fifth: Construction should be modified to accommodate such maintenance and to prevent damages done on good parts.

Is there a Solidworks part / assembly somewhere so I can rework this? I really need to get this working for the next few days...
I've ordered an other PTEF tube and wondering if I'll build another unit.
I've already spend too much time on this. Desperate. :oops: :? :( hElP!
Attachments
Fichier 16-03-19 18 15 20.jpeg
Fichier 16-03-19 18 15 01.jpeg
Fichier 16-03-19 18 14 40.jpeg
Fichier 16-03-19 18 13 58.jpeg
Fichier 16-03-19 18 13 09.jpeg

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Try devel.lulzbot.com

I've been able to take the STL and import into SketchUp for modifications and cleanup.
Last edited by kcchen_00 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piercet

Post by piercet » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:19 pm

tekmaster wrote: Is there a Solidworks part / assembly somewhere so I can rework this? I really need to get this working for the next few days...
I've ordered an other PTEF tube and wondering if I'll build another unit.
I've already spend too much time on this. Desperate. :oops: :? :( hElP!

There is another variant. Takes a bit of parts though.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1201229