HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
paulmorley

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by paulmorley » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi all. I made a modification to my box. I wanted to access the controller housing without taking the top of the box off so I enlarged the vent hole and designed a new vent (inspired by Jonathan) for the opening. Check it out at Thingiverse. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1484077
Attachments
Hot_Box_vent v1.png

killacycle

Post by killacycle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:07 pm

We built a heated enclosure that is a bit simpler than the one you folks are talking about:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1431089
It is constructed of "8020", CoroPlast sheets, and an Acrylic sheet for the front door.

I designed and printed the corner pieces that actually work a bit better than the ones you can buy for ~$20 from 8020. I also included the simple hinge design.

If you use polycaronate greenhouse panels, you can run the inside temperature to ~50 Celsius or more, but the CoroPlast and Acrylic limit the temperature to perhaps 40 Celsius.

Works for us.

Plan to add a small exhaust duct and fan to the outside soon. Any suggestions?

Bill D.
Attachments
P3213723.JPG

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:51 am

killacycle wrote: ... CoroPlast sheets, and an Acrylic sheet for the front door.
I like the use of CoroPlast... My temporary enclosure is formed from 3 sheets of 24x36 CoroPlast and an 18x24 acrylic sectional door (all available from the local hardware store). Self supporting so no frame. I printed some clips that hold the corner and sides to the top along with hinges for the door. Its serving as a nice mock-up until the acrylic enclosure can be made.

You should start a new thread if you want CCC on your design. I'm sure it would spark some interest. This thread seems pretty dedicated to the particular enclosure...

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:11 pm

paulmorley wrote:Hi all. I made a modification to my box. I wanted to access the controller housing without taking the top of the box off so I enlarged the vent hole and designed a new vent (inspired by Jonathan) for the opening. Check it out at Thingiverse. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1484077

Paul, Love it! I appreciate you including my name also in your file shares.

keep the mods coming guys! so awesome....
For whatever reason I just realized now that the electronics fan sucks the ambient air and pushes into the electronics box and consequently affects the ambient temp inside the box. It's spring up here in Canada and I had cracked a window for ventilation, about 8celcius out, thought my print would be fine because it was sealed inside the box but I noticed everytime I did that, I'd get cracking and warping. Couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized it dipped the ambient room temperature just enough make a difference. So just a note to anyone using the box, ambient temps need to be reasonable, above chilly. A window opened on a winter or spring day could affect things. I keep the room heated and warm now, come summer I shouldn't have to.

Mecizeldec

Post by Mecizeldec » Sun May 08, 2016 7:01 am

Could someone repost the STL package? The zip file hosted on GrabCad has three files that are unusable as they have no dimensions. (1mmX1mm) I've tried to reach out to Johnathan but he seems to have gone dark... In particular, I need:

- HingeSpacers
- Handleplates
- Basebrackets

Thanks for the help!

BigKahuna

Post by BigKahuna » Sun May 08, 2016 8:03 am

Mecizeldec wrote:Could someone repost the STL package? The zip file hosted on GrabCad has three files that are unusable as they have no dimensions. (1mmX1mm) I've tried to reach out to Johnathan but he seems to have gone dark... In particular, I need:

- HingeSpacers
- Handleplates
- Basebrackets

Thanks for the help!
The files ARE usable, but not in metric setting. Set your slicer for inches instead of mm and they print just fine.

Mecizeldec

Post by Mecizeldec » Sun May 08, 2016 9:22 am

Hey thanks for the reply!

Never worked in inches on cura before. Do you have a recommended profile or does it convert it for you? Thanks!

BigKahuna

Post by BigKahuna » Sun May 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Mecizeldec wrote:Hey thanks for the reply!

Never worked in inches on cura before. Do you have a recommended profile or does it convert it for you? Thanks!
I don't believe Cura can be set to work in inches. I use Simplify3D and all of Jonathan's parts converted just fine.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Sun May 15, 2016 4:49 pm

Parts are saved in mm into raw stl format from Solidworks. You need to bring them into netfab and upconvert them to inches for them to import at normal size into Slic3r. It's a weird quark, I've always had to do this for my 3DP stuff :(. Now I forget, some of the parts I might have already up converted them, dunno but just play around with that, you'll figure it out, the parts are OK, others they were able to print them out.

holydeltawings

Post by holydeltawings » Mon May 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Does anyone have a place that would be able to laser cut the front panels as a service? I am having a hard time finding someone locally that will do it with the given file below.
Attachments
FlatPlexi_DXF.DWG
(23.93 KiB) Downloaded 52 times