Filament for casting?

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
yttan1116

Filament for casting?

Post by yttan1116 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi, is there anyone that have tried to print their 3d model by using lost-wax filament :? ? I learnt that wax filament is quite soft compared to the other standard filaments. So can the Lulzbot 3d printer print the wax model well? If so, what are the tips to be noted for this kind of printing?

redreplicant

Re: Filament for casting?

Post by redreplicant » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm

I would also like to know the answer to this. I may just order some wax based filament and deal with cleaning the mess out of my hot end if it doesn't go according to plan.

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 pm

A user did experement with printing a wax based fillament with a taz. you can find their experement here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2906

The other popular option is using PLA, in a technique known as "Lost PLA casting" PLA is not toxic when burned, and if you have a smelter capable of melting metal, you should be able to get it burned out pretty easily. There are several youtube videos out there on the subject.

Jrny4wrd

Post by Jrny4wrd » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 pm

redreplicant wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm
I would also like to know the answer to this. I may just order some wax based filament and deal with cleaning the mess out of my hot end if it doesn't go according to plan.
Did you ever order the wax filament? I too am wondering if the wax will work well, or if it’s just better to purchase the PLA.

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 am

PolyCast is a great option, we are looking to have it available in the next week or two. We already have profiles included in Cura 3.6.3 and have had great results with burn out.

You can see their video about the material here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4--fiBGMIpc