NGen Removal From TAZ6

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
Case2000

NGen Removal From TAZ6

Post by Case2000 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:57 am

Hello,

I wanted to post a noted which may help newbies to PEI and NGen, like me.

Before I bought my Taz6, I was using Delta printers with Glass or Blue tape. I printed PLA/ABS/TPU and never had any problems with the removal.

I love my Taz6. The auto level is flawless. The materials stick great! But I have had issues getting the NGen to release. NGen is now my favorite printing material. I use glue stick and let the bed cool fully. I have tweaked my Z offset so it is actually almost too high and still was having issues with it releasing. :( I really had to work at removing the print. I printed the large gear for the extruder and it literally took my half a day to work it off without damaging the bed!

After reviewing the forums and youtube, I tried tapping the print, different tools, isopropyl alcohol. I still struggled. Then, I ran across of post about using a mix of water and 70% alcohol. I let the bed cool to 50 degrees Celsius and spray the print. Come back in 10 minutes and the print is completely loose from the bed. No tools, No Taping. I am amazed. I have adjusted my Z height down further for a smoother bottom and it still works great.

This may be common knowledge but I thought I'd pass it along and hope it helps someone.
:D
Patrick

svanwhy

Re: NGen Removal From TAZ6

Post by svanwhy » Sat May 05, 2018 6:24 am

I print with NGEN all of the time and I use AVERY brand glue stick on the print bed. I wait until the bed cools almost all the way down and the parts come off with very little struggle. I agree I really love NGEN too, prints like a dream even very fine detail objects.

Case2000

Post by Case2000 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:17 pm

I agree. I cannot believe how how easy it comes off the PEI bed. It just lifts off. No strain on the bed. I love the NGEN and the Taz6! Try the water/alcohol mix. It come off soooo easy! :)

barzalou

Post by barzalou » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:20 pm

What do you mean by 70% alcohol?

b-morgan

Post by b-morgan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:40 pm

barzalou wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:20 pm
What do you mean by 70% alcohol?
When you buy Isopropyl alcohol, it can be purchased in various percentages, 70% and 90% are common (the other part is purified water). Diluting it with more water obviously reduces the percentage of alcohol.

kyle vick

Post by kyle vick » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Looking forward to trying the alcohol wash!

ajrobertsx

Post by ajrobertsx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:25 pm

For people still reading this thread. Be careful to check carefully anything that has "rubbing alcohol" on the label. Some of these even in concentrations of 70% and higher also have a Glycerin lubricant built in which will make it difficult for anything to stick to your print bed. I would assume that anything with just alcohol and sterile water on the label is OK to use.