Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
aliasmeum

Re: Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Post by aliasmeum » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 am

Hello artistebot,

When you are new to Marlin, it is a jungle trying to find information on your own level :)
I ended up using the official Marlin 1.1.6 release and do the necessary changes for my Taz5 in "Configuration.h" and "Configuration_adv.h", using the configuration files from Lulzbots "Marlin_TAZ45_Uaru_1.0.0.1" and Lulzbots Marlin-1.1.5 for TAZ6 as reference.
This is now working perfectly for me, but my Taz5 is modified, and my configurations would not work for a stock Taz5.

Today I have edited the configuration files so that they should be right for a stock Taz5. Please consider that this configuration has not been tested, but the files are attached. I have also attached a file that shows all the changes that I have done, compared to the official Marlin release. IMPORTANT: Also note that this configuration is for normally closed (NC) end-stop switches. I chose to keep this configuration since this is considered a safer solution. You can either change this in "Configuration.h" or you can connect your end-stops as NC-switches. You do this simply by moving the middle connector to the free pin on the end-stop switch.

Remember that you also will have to define your new hotend and extruder in "Configuration.h".

If you want to go on using my files, at your own risk, I will recommend this procedure:
- Download latest Marlin release, currently 1.1.6, from Marlins official site (http://marlinfw.org/meta/download/)
- Copy and paste the content of my attached file "Configuration.h(Taz5).odt" to a text file and replace this file with the "Configuration.h" file in the Marlin folder.
- Copy and paste the content of my attached file "Configuration_adv.h(Taz5).odt" to a text file and replace this file with the "Configuration_adv.h" file in the Marlin folder.
- Download Arduino IDE 1.8.5 from (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software)
- In Arduino IDE, install the U8glib library. From the menu "Sketch/Include Library/Manage Libraries". Search for U8glib, choose version 1.19.1 and Install it.
- Connect to your printers USB port and upload the new firmware.

I hope this is a solution that can help you.
Best regards
Robert
Attachments
Marlin-1.1.6-Taz5 configuration changes.ods
(21.18 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Configuration.h(Taz5).odt
(40.33 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Configuration_adv.h(Taz5).odt
(38.88 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

artistebot

Post by artistebot » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Thank you Robert!

Yes, Marlin is a lot to process. Before this, I have only edited a configuration.h file for my Anet A8 that I had upgraded w a MksGen1.4. The way Lulzbot customizes Marlin is cool, and more than I expected!

Following your direction and using the files you provided, I was able to update my Taz 5 to Marlin 1.1.6……whoo hoo! I also moved all three end stop connectors to NC, great tip! Now I need to find a way to offset the Auto home position.

A few notes:

I enabled INDIVIDUAL_AXIS_HOMING

I enabled CUSTOM_MACHINE_NAME “TAZ 5”

I changed my extruder eSteps to 415 as it is a TitanAero

Tuned PID values

The EndStop pin for the X axis is blocked by the frame, but by bending it slightly outward I was able to put on the connector.

In what way is your Taz 5 modified?

aliasmeum

Post by aliasmeum » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 am

Glad to be of assistance!

I guess that with the TitanAero, the nozzle will end up outside the printbed when homing to the end-stop switches. What about loosening the bed-to-frame clamps and physically move the printbed to the right position? You can then redefine "#define X_BED_SIZE 298" and "#define Y_BED_SIZE 275" in Marlin.

I have built a new y-axis for my Taz5. Hiwin linear guides, two 0,9 deg stepper motors with 15 mm timing belts. The printbed is a PEI-coated 8 mm aluminium plate with a 230V/600W silicone heater.
I have a brand new TitanAero waiting to be installed on the new x-axis I am currently working on (Starting to print the first parts for the axis today).

Best regards
Robert

GasPath_2

Post by GasPath_2 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:44 pm

I've had a Taz 5 for a long time (5 years?). I've been hesitant to do anything with the firmware until I lost my stepper driver for the extruder a few weeks back. Decided I would try my best to fix it on my own since the new ones are WAY out of my current monetary ability. If it wasn't for this web page, I never would have made it and my Taz would have ended up scrap.

I'm not sure why, but everything I tried to compile in the Arduino IDE failed. Over and over again. Even when I could get 1.1.6 or above to properly compile, my Taz would lock up, the heated bed would go into overdrive and the only recourse was to pull the plug. Then I found your work, Robert. I don't know why, but the first few runs failed to compile. Scrapped everything and found that the configuration.h was bad. Retrieved a fresh copy from your post and it was the first success I've had in two weeks. I went in, swapped the E0 and E1 pin numbers, swapped the extruder cable, and my printer is back in order.

I can't thank you enough. I use my printer a lot! Not having it was denting my hobby. So I really do appreciate this effort.

Thanks

GasPath

aliasmeum

Post by aliasmeum » Tue May 29, 2018 12:52 am

Hello GasPath.

I am always happy when something is saved from ending up as scrap. Glad to help you.

Best regards
Robert

Rp1030

Post by Rp1030 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm

Is there still and development on this? I am definitely interested after I've lost use of my taz for quite a while.
The links listed below are no longer available. also. I cant figure out how to download from this link: https://code.alephobjects.com/diffusion ... ory/devel/

Thank you, I am currently working on a Taz mod right now that will put this firmware to good use!
I appreciate any help, and stay tuned for something exciting!!

Sebastian wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:29 am
If someone else still has problems, there is a bad bug I introduced when I changed the behaviour of the Marlin temperature and stepper interrupt service routines. It could lead to wrong temperature readings (resulting in spikes visible in the temp. graph or even min./max. temp errors where the printer stops) and even complete printer freezing.

This, and another (in my opinion not bug-related) thing can now be fixed with a PR I created yesterday for Marlin. If you want to have one code set with this updates already built into it, you can download the code from my repository here. This one is not configured specific for the TAZ, but if you want to start with my config for TAZ5 as a baseline, you can grab the Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h files from here. Just copy and paste it over the existing ones from the first link.

Sorry for this, I think now it should be stable again even in prints that takes days to finish. I'm just finishing a pangolin that took over 11h.

aliasmeum

Post by aliasmeum » Thu May 30, 2019 5:43 am

Hello Rp1030,

I am afraid this topic is a bit outdated, Marlin is now on version 1.1.9 and the problems addressed by Sebastian are no longer relevant.
I am not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish, but if what you need is a working firmware that you can edit after your own preferences. Then you can still use the procedure and the attached files as explained in my reply to artistebot, in this topic, on Fri Nov 10, 2017.

In my reply to artistebot there is attached a file called "Marlin-1.1.6-Taz5 configuration changes.ods" in this file you can see what changes you need to do in the standard Marlin configuration to get it to work on a standard Taz5.
If you want to use the current Marlin 1.1.9 release, you can apply these changes to the configuration files in Marlin 1.1.9. Remember to also use the latest Arduino IDE (Currently 1.8.9)

If you want to try version 1.1.6, here are working links to the old releases off Marlin 1.1.6 and Arduino IDE 1.8.5:
https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... /tag/1.1.6
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftw ... s#previous

I hope this can get you started.
Best regards
Robert

Rp1030

Post by Rp1030 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:15 am

Thanks. I will try this tonight!

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Thu May 30, 2019 11:00 am

Seeing this one brought back to life, I thought to take the chance to mention we do have Marlin 2.0.0 builds for all our printers. We have not done thorough testing on some of our older models and as such have not included it within Cura LE as a standard update.

For anyone who would like to try the newer firmwares you can find all machine and tool heads here: http://devel.lulzbot.com/software/Marlin/

This is still experimental firmware, and has not been tested thoroughly in house. After upgrading if you run into any issues, it is recommended to revert to the stable 1.1.9.16 version of Marlin.

Rp1030

Post by Rp1030 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 pm

Aliasmeum

I am trying to adapt version 1.1.9 to work with my taz 5 and it is, mostly..

The lcd menu seems slower and when I move my axis manually in any direction, there is a very distinct lag between moves. I think I’m doing something wrong. I just don’t know what 😖