Aerosteuder clogs oh my!

Have questions? Want advice?
sdhowar1

Aerosteuder clogs oh my!

Post by sdhowar1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Depending upon the filament you use, the aerostruder can have a heat creep problem which ultimately results in clogs. In the standard single struder, cold pulls are king. In the dual extruder cold pulls are difficult but possible. In the aerostruder it is physically impossible.

The best method I have found for dealing with a clog is to remove the nozzle, and attempt to pull whatever is stuck in the filament oath down through the heater block. It is terrible. In some cases I have pushed items up into the gears but there is no way to push it out since the build up is usually bigger than the feeding tube which is attached ti the gear mechanism.

So my wuestion is this. Has anyone figured out a better way to clear clogs in the aerostruder?

Ehoff
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Aerosteuder clogs oh my!

Post by Ehoff » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 am

One way that we use over here when we get a bad clog on an Aerostruder, is to disable the heat sink fan by placing an index card or something similar over the fan to prevent the airflow into the heat sink. Once you have the heat sink fan disabled you will then heat the hotend up to 220C for PLA or 250C for the higher temperature range filaments. You then let the hotend reach the temperature you have it set at, and let it sit for a minute or two. This allows the heat to travel up the heat break and soften the filament in the heat sink area. Once the filament has had a little time to soften, we then use a 2.5 mm hex head wrench and make sure the tension is loosened all the way and then stick the hex head wrench into the feed hole on the top of the extruder and then use it as a plunger to try and push the filament down and out through the nozzle.