Mini 2!

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot Mini 3D Printer
mparis666

Re: Mini 2!

Post by mparis666 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:10 pm

I would most definitely interested in purchasing an upgrade "kit" that includes all non-printed parts needed to upgrade from the Mini to the Mini 2, in addition to a guide on OHAI to complete the conversion. I already have (and am pleased with) the Aerostruder installed an working.

While I am by no means a neophyte in regards to the Mini, and I have electronics experience, coding and mechanical ability, I am a bit daunted to attempt this just using only the Mini 2 assembly guide.

As I write, I am downloading parts for the Mini 2 and will commence printing them. I have some Lulzbot green PLA to print the appropriate parts in, and see no real need for the LCD display, as I use Octoprint to allow for the printer to be in another room, and remote printing.

Any advise or additional information would be greatly appreciated.

OutcastZeroOne

Post by OutcastZeroOne » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:21 am

Just keep in mind that PLA can go soft from the machines own heat if you print in an enclosure or leave it in a car or warm place. It’s really not an ideal material to make printer parts from.

beepboopclick

Post by beepboopclick » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:44 pm

It looks like there's a lot of logic tying sensorless homing with Z to the same with XY. It does not like breaking those out into separate things. Since I don't have enough pins to do all of the endstops on the new board (well, if I want to have all three fans), it looks like I'm might have to do at least some of the Z hardware changes in order to make this work. Hmmm.

DPmakestuff

Post by DPmakestuff » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:28 pm

beepboopclick wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:44 pm
It looks like there's a lot of logic tying sensorless homing with Z to the same with XY. It does not like breaking those out into separate things. Since I don't have enough pins to do all of the endstops on the new board (well, if I want to have all three fans), it looks like I'm might have to do at least some of the Z hardware changes in order to make this work. Hmmm.
I found space for all 3 fans and all the homing switches by stealing a 5v pin from the LCD connector since my Mini 1 doesn't have a screen. I'm following with great anticipation because I've got the hardware swapped over and I can get everything to move (nearly) silently, but not everything works the way it should.

beepboopclick

Post by beepboopclick » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:12 am

DPmakestuff wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:28 pm
I found space for all 3 fans and all the homing switches by stealing a 5v pin from the LCD connector since my Mini 1 doesn't have a screen.
Ooh, good plan! Can you send a photo of your board? What's not working with your setup?

DPmakestuff

Post by DPmakestuff » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:49 am

Ooh, good plan! Can you send a photo of your board? What's not working with your setup?
Yes I can snap a picture of the board tonight. I'm going to switch it back until someone works out the firmware issues because I can't seem to get it sorted. The axis directions were all backwards (easy fix), the end stops are set to NC instead of NO (easy fix), the major hurdle for me has been getting the Z axis to understand its screw driven not belt driven. Nothing I've tried in Marlin seems to stick

karl0508

Post by karl0508 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:03 am

Hi

May have missed it but where could i get the Z brake circuit board?

I find the belt drive fascinating and the Z brake sorts all on my concerns!

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:32 am

karl0508 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:03 am
where could i get the Z brake circuit board?
Sorry about the delay in getting that one on the website, but it is now live. You can purchase the board here: https://www.lulzbot.com/store/parts/lul ... -board-kit

karl0508

Post by karl0508 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:01 am

Brilliant! Does it only work on 24v? If so I'm upgrading!

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:41 pm

karl0508 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:01 am
Does it only work on 24v?
It sure does work with a 24v system, shouldn't have any issues there! We have not tested this with 12v systems, but it is unlikely the board will be successful there without modification.

If you are interested in doing the full upgrade, I highly recommend popping into this thread and seeing what else may be required: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=7631