Taz 5 + BLTouch [Project]

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
Menissalt

Re: Taz 5 + BLTouch [Project]

Post by Menissalt » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:13 pm

Working on a new fan shroud design that uses the 4010 fans but directs the air more directly to the nozzle and also should provide more airflow by reducing some of the static pressure. We're fairly limited on the amount of available space though. I could come up with some crazy elongated design like I've seen someone else do but axial fans just aren't worth it.

My next next project will be adding a radial fan to this design in place of the dual axial fans.

Menissalt

Post by Menissalt » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Not to my surprise the axial fans even with improved shrouds just don't work well. I've moved on to adding support for the diiicooler.
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif (2.05 MiB) Viewed 788 times
It works really well so far but there are some issues. First the heater needs to be upgraded. Even with PID tuning the fan is too much for the 30W heater cartridge. More critically the extruder mount only allows for roughly 2mm between the bed and the bottom of the fan shroud. There's also limited room to use for attaching the fan shroud to the extruder mount. This leads to the shroud not being stiff enough and sagging on the left side which brings the space between the shroud and bed less than 1mm. Because of this I'm remixing the extruder mount a bit to make the mounting more secure. This will also require a new heat break cooling shroud to be printed to make room for the diiicooler.

I lost all my heat set inserts when I moved so once I get some more I'll be able to assemble the new mount, make any adjustments if needed, and then I'll create a remix of the assembly shared in OP. Stay tuned for updates.

Credburn

Post by Credburn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:36 pm

I know I'm late to this, but is there anybody out there that has a working new version of Marlin Firmware for the TAZ 5 w/BL Touch. I tried the firmware at the beginning of this thread and it's hit and miss if I get a probing error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Menissalt

Post by Menissalt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:20 pm

Credburn wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:36 pm
I know I'm late to this, but is there anybody out there that has a working new version of Marlin Firmware for the TAZ 5 w/BL Touch. I tried the firmware at the beginning of this thread and it's hit and miss if I get a probing error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I updated it last month. Istill actively use use and am even currently working on better cooling for this project.

I haven't gotten any probing errors, you might want to check the wiring

Credburn

Post by Credburn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Thank you for the reply. Do you know why I would be getting U8g errors every time I try to upload the firmware? I'm trying not to be too much of a PITA, but I'm at a total loss when it comes to this.

Menissalt

Post by Menissalt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:57 am

Credburn wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 pm
Thank you for the reply. Do you know why I would be getting U8g errors every time I try to upload the firmware? I'm trying not to be too much of a PITA, but I'm at a total loss when it comes to this.
Step 16 in the OP, also make sure you're on the 1.9 version of Arduino

"16. Flash provided firmware using arduino-1.9.0 IDE, Tools > Board > "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560"
You'll need to move the "hardware" & "libraries" folder from the extracted pathTO\BLTouch-Taz-5-master\ArduinoAddons\arduino-1.8.5 folder to your Arduino install directory, overwriting any duplicate files. Then update the u8glib library in Arduino"

Credburn

Post by Credburn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Menissalt wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:57 am
Credburn wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 pm
Step 16 in the OP, also make sure you're on the 1.9 version of Arduino

"16. Flash provided firmware using arduino-1.9.0 IDE, Tools > Board > "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560"
You'll need to move the "hardware" & "libraries" folder from the extracted pathTO\BLTouch-Taz-5-master\ArduinoAddons\arduino-1.8.5 folder to your Arduino install directory, overwriting any duplicate files. Then update the u8glib library in Arduino"
Thank you again. I can't believe I missed that completely. At least it's working now. I had to change the servo pin from 22 to 44 in pins_RAMBO.h for some reason, but I'll have to figure that out. I have it wired exactly the way that's in that picture. Thanks again.

Menissalt

Post by Menissalt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:39 pm

I've updated the extruder mount to better fit the diiicooler. This should prevent the sag I've been getting and also adds a little more clearance from the build plate. The left side has holes for heatset inserts to leave room for people to add mods if they want.
Capture.PNG

I haven't been able to test this, waiting on a delivery, but should be able to work on it this weekend.

cmulli89

Post by cmulli89 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:57 am

Made an account just to say thanks Menissalt for this great tutorial! Running the BL Touch with the Diicooler upgrade and getting great results.

Some issues I ran into along the way:
1) Had to change the SERVO0_PIN from 22 to 44 in pin_RAMBO.h (Similar to Credburn)
2) The wiring picture no longer seems to be available. After some digging I found a picture elsewhere.

Now all that is left is generate a mount design for the x-carriage so the leveling can be use for multiple extruders.

Thanks again!

Menissalt

Post by Menissalt » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 am

I'm actually working on a dual extruder version using Bondtech motors and the E3D Chimera+

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8570

Not sure when I'll start getting parts though so there might not be any updates for a while. There's a chance that I'll put in a Duet WiFi first but I'm not sure where to start figuring out the wiring or firmware for that.