Extruder Struggling

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot AO-101/AO-100 3D Printer
Theycallmejohn

Re: Extruder Struggling

Post by Theycallmejohn » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:24 am

I set it to 235 and at the most I don't think it registered over 240. It was did a few weird little spike ups in temperature curve as it was warming up. I have never seen it do that before.

I am kicking myself for not taking a screen shot of it.

Do you think it could be the thermistor going out? I just put in a brand new one about a week and half ago that I had bought from Lulzbot.

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Oho- potentially... What's the thermistor resistance at room temp? How centered was the thermistor? You may want to PID tune the hot end prior to heating it up again. PID tune it at 230 first. The PEEK plastic insulator doesn't fail until you near 250C. We've printed at 235 with no issues before. Were you running the fan? What material were you using?

Theycallmejohn

Post by Theycallmejohn » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:41 pm

I will check the resistance when I get home. I have been getting beautiful prints with the Lulzbot black abs and everything was working perfectly up till last night and I hadn't changed any hardware or settings.

What's the thermistor resistance at room temp? Going to check EDIT: 122 ohms

How centered was the thermistor? Fairly centered.

You may want to PID tune the hot end prior to heating it up again. PID tune it at 230 first. I rand a PID tune when I put the new thermistor in but I can run it again. Do you recommend updating the firmware with the values or using M301?

The PEEK plastic insulator doesn't fail until you near 250C. We've printed at 235 with no issues before. I will check. If I left it on at 235 for an extended period, with the extruder not running, could that cause it? I don't think I did but at the same time I wouldn't put it past me.

Were you running the fan? INo, I thought you didn't need one for ABS unless you were using an all metal hotend.

What material were you using? Lulzbot Black ABS

BTW. I appreciate all the great customer service Lulzbot offers and provide. Rachel with you sales dept. helped me track down a part I needed. (Unfortunately she couldn't find me a peek hot end.) Additionally all the support that you, Orias, and Jebba provides is great and really makes the difference.

image.jpg
Ohms

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:06 pm

It's not recommended to leave the hot end at extrusion temperatures when idle, but it shouldn't do that. We typically extrude our black ABS at about 230.

Theycallmejohn

Post by Theycallmejohn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Orias wrote:It's not recommended to leave the hot end at extrusion temperatures when idle, but it shouldn't do that. We typically extrude our black ABS at about 230.
If I did it was a complete accident. I normally don't fire up the hotend until its within 5 degrees of the target temperature.

I was extruding at 230 but a couple of my first few prints ground thru the filament and failed several layers in. Since I went to 235 no problems.(Until the hotend.) It could have been something else like the filament snagging on the new real but I din't change anything except for the temp.

I guess I am down until, I can source some new peek insulators or scarp all my budaschnozzle parts and buy a new hotend.

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:51 am

We do have the PEEK insulator in stock- if you have any questions on how to replace it, feel free to email support at Support@LulzBot.com. If the thermistor wasn't centered appropriately it could have been reading cooler than it actually was. It's worth checking- you can probably do so without having to cut off the thermistor. If you email in, please include your order information so we can determine your warranty status.

Theycallmejohn

Post by Theycallmejohn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks Orias. That would be amazing if I could. Sales had told me you guys didn't have any more PEEK insulators for the 1.1 to 1.3 and you wouldn't likely have them for awhile but I emailed support none the less. I PM'd Jebba at someone suggestion and he said he would look into it.

I bought my printer a little less than year ago but I bought it via Ebay from Aleph Objects and don't remember any thing about a warranty.

If I am able to get some more peek insulators I will definitely make sure the thermistor is centered.

Here is another photo of the damage. :( Trying soak it in acetone so I can get the peek off.
IMG_4532.jpg
Melted hot end

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Still checking to see if we have one locally, either at a reseller we know or in R&D.

Theycallmejohn

Post by Theycallmejohn » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:51 am

Thanks Orias,

Separate issue, so I was taking the extruded off and I noticed that the hole doesn't appear to be inline with the hobbled bolt. Below is a bad picture but it may show. Is this normal does it affect anything? Also the gears don't appear to be perfectly aligned. I think maybe adding a washer would fix it if this isn't typical.
image.jpg
Hole

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:48 pm

You'll want the filament path to be as lined up as possible. Does your hobbed bolt move back and forth?