"Rumors" of Lulzbot Closing by End of October 2019

Share news and announcements happening in the world of 3D Printing and Libre/Free/Open Source hardware and software.

fivewaters

Re: "Rumors" of Lulzbot Closing by End of October 2019

Post by fivewaters » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:39 am

Yeah, it's true. They closes down production last Friday. However all warranties will be covered an the offices will be open until the end of the month.

rexsolomon

Post by rexsolomon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:46 am

There are ways to save Lulzbot and make it thrive (again) for the long run, but it requires fundamental change.
Last edited by rexsolomon on Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

fivewaters

Post by fivewaters » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:32 pm

I did want to make a correction. They still have a skeleton crew in manufacturing. Also, there are several companies that are interested in purchasing Aleph Objects.

As far as innovating is concerned, that's all well and good as long as the stuff works when it goes out the door. There were several projects that were in the works. The Bio Printer was supposed to come out this month. They were working on a multitoolhead printer that would carry up to four tool heads. So, things were being developed.

But, that's the nice things about the printers -- you could modify them however you wanted. Any modifications would void the warranty and would be past the scope of Tech Support. But they were highly modifiable.

raneman

Post by raneman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:43 am

fivewaters wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:39 am
Yeah, it's true. They closes down production last Friday. However all warranties will be covered an the offices will be open until the end of the month.
This is concerning, we just purchased in June a Taz 6 for $2500. With the same order, we purchased a V3 Dual Extruder Head (that we have yet been able to get to work right) for $495 and a 3-year extended warranty for $1,075 for our first Maker Space in our brand new Bethany Library opening on November 16th.

So you are saying that this 3 year warranty will be covered? Forgive me if I'm not overly confident that will happen. The only way I see it happening is if one of those companies interested in purchasing Aleph does so.

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:07 pm

It is very unfortunate that Aleph Objects has maxed out all thier credit cards due to poor business management, and will probably be closing by the end of the month (unless they get bought out, which I think is unlikely). But one can hope.

For the rest who are interested, i have made sure to backup the entire devel and download portions of the lulzbot website before it is gone. I would recommend you do the same. I used wget on linux to copy it all.

I like the lulzbot printers a lot, but I think they expanded too quickly, and innovated too slowly combined with poor money management. Oh well, live and learn. On to Prusa...

radensb

Post by radensb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:45 pm

Biolumo wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:07 pm
For the rest who are interested, i have made sure to backup the entire devel and download portions of the lulzbot website before it is gone. I would recommend you do the same. I used wget on linux to copy it all.
Would it be valuable to create a github repo of all the devel and website source so that it is guaranteed to live forever and available to all?

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:53 am

radensb wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:45 pm
Biolumo wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:07 pm
Would it be valuable to create a github repo of all the devel and website source so that it is guaranteed to live forever and available to all?
Yeah, that's a great idea. Do you think you could do that? I do have a github account, but I barely know how to use it. Not everything needs to be on a hit repo like the testing videos and other random stuff. But, the annoying thing is all the development projects have codenames and its hard to know exactly what is what. I think there is a "decoder ring" file that translates those names somewhere, but it might be better to rename certain projects Like "superfantasticgladiola" to "lulzbot bioprinter" for example.

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:06 am

Don't forget to backup OHAI.lulzbot.com.

Im doing that now... it is hands down the best guide I've seen for any product. Its nice when companies do open source to the MAX instead of the bare minimum. I do hope lulzbot survives, but they saw this coming and firing all those employees last min without proper notice is shameful. As a Colorado and Loveland resident myself I hope they loose the lawsuit.

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/lul ... yee-163367

3dRiffs

Post by 3dRiffs » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:13 am

Very sad to see this happen, both for the people hit (been there, it sucks), and for the customers. I've been concerned though, the rest of the market is moving down in price, and the latest Taz iteration went in the opposite direction - I'm sure that hurt sales. Taz was always a premium product, but 2-3x the market price point is hard to sustain.

I've managed to find and buy some spare parts for the things that need replacement most often (e.g. glass beds), and will be printing a bunch of parts like the herringbone gears over the next few weeks to have on hand. Hopefully someone buys the company and we don't have sourcing issues for the non-printable pieces, but if the company does disappear, we should think about adding a sourcing document to the github for the harder-to-find parts.

The thing I'm most worried about is Cura, particularly for mac users. It's a beast to compile, and that doesn't even include getting all the Lulzbot specific firmware stuff included, so future OS upgrades may render it unusable. Worst case we can go a virtual machine route with a legacy OS to keep running with what we have, but that does mean we'd miss out on the future core Cura improvements. Still, we've got a damn good machine now, and that won't change.