Lulzbot Taz 6, 3D iphone case with face

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
b-morgan

Re: Lulzbot Taz 6, 3D iphone case with face

Post by b-morgan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:50 pm

JoeBowler300 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:04 pm
So you have two different tool heads with different size nozzles? Then perhaps you execute the “Pause at height” script/plug-in, swap out the tool heads and press resume. Is this correct?
No, I do not switch tool heads in a single job. I determine ahead of time which tool head would be appropriate for each print job and then slice and print the job with the appropriate tool head. It might be possible to have two different sized nozzles in a dual extruder tool head, but I've not done it.
JoeBowler300 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:04 pm
I am interested to know more about this technique ; I printed some molds and the fine details were on the top and I could’ve used the larger nozzle size to build up the base quicker. Along the same lines of this, is there a way to have multiple layer heights within a print? I tried using the “Use adaptive layers” setting in the Experimental section but the results didn’t turn out too good for me. I would like to control the layer height throughout various points in the model.
Multiple layer heights within a single print can be done in some slicers. In CuraLE, "Use adaptive layers" is supposed to do this automagically. Simplify3D has the ability to do multiple "processes" in the same print job and for each process, you can specify begining and ending layer numbers or Z height and the layer height can be different in each process. Slic3r also has the ability to do this but I haven't used Slic3r very much.