Wanted - Taz 6 - Removable flexible bed mod ideas

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
nuroo

Wanted - Taz 6 - Removable flexible bed mod ideas

Post by nuroo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 am

I saw the new modular bed system for the Taz 6. It's a removable glass sheet, pei one side, bare glass other side. With the heater and spring sheet separate from the glass.

What I want to know is there a way we can use this new system to make the bed flexible and removable like Prusa's mk3 or buildtaks flexplate system. There is a DIY way to do this linked below.

https://youtu.be/-HI0PLQ3ThU

I'm actually trying to get a local shop in my area to laser cut some sheet metal for me, for my Delta printer. Sent them the stl and requested a quote, no idea how much it cost to laser cut something.
But for the Taz I worry about zoffset accuracy, because the probe doesn't touch the build surface, it probes the washers.

So the idea is to place high temperature magnets under the bed somewhere to hold another spring steel sheet with a build surface like lokbuild, buildtak, pei etc on top. Or use some sort of clips to hold the 2nd sheet to the first. Any way once done, let cool and flex to remove. No more struggling with prints stuck to plate, no more cuts to your fingers, etc.(The clam shell knife is litterly dangerous and has drawn blood). This works awesome on my mk3, wish I had something like this for my Taz 6, which I'm using less and less to be honest.

Hoping for your guys ideas and input.
Last edited by nuroo on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ocelot27

Re: Wanted - Taz 6 - removable flexible bed mod?????

Post by ocelot27 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:33 am

Get the BLTouch - it's really nice...

nuroo

Post by nuroo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:37 am

BLTouch is nice. But how does it help with removing prints off a flexible bed?

ocelot27

Post by ocelot27 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:18 pm

You would no longer need the standard Taz 6 bed mount design - you could make up anything you want since the washers are irrelevant...

I ditched the PEI a long time ago - just glass and whatever I need to make whatever I'm printing stick.

nuroo

Post by nuroo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Point taken..... Thanks for responding :mrgreen:

I suppose what's most feasible is best. I love my MK3's removable flexible bed. It inspired a DIY mod for my Delta.

https://plus.google.com/+KhalilNurullah ... wwsax7jFTJ

Was hoping to collibrate with some Taz6 owners to accomplish same for taz6
Last edited by nuroo on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ocelot27

Post by ocelot27 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:24 pm

You can buy the Taz 6 silicone heater pad by itself and stick it to whatever you want - you could use a thin piece of aluminum (3mm) and then do the flex mod on top of that.

If you like the BuildTak - I think they make a flexible magnetic one now?

I liked Buildtak but it's just not durable enough - when you print something at 280° it bubbles and gets all crappy just like PEI.

I also Insulated the bottom of my heater pad with fiberglass pad + fiberglass coated with Al foil - the Al bed underneath the heater doesn't even get warm now = more heat to glass faster.

-john

nuroo

Post by nuroo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:29 am

Thanks for sharing your ideas. My question about using the Taz6 silcone heater - it takes up almost the whole surface of moving plate. There isn't much place to put magnets around the edges. Maybe we could use clips to hold additional plate? Although the magnet solution is so much more elegant. Idk if it's a good idea to put the magnets 1st then apply silcone pad.
Will there be enough surface area for adhesive with magnets in between the two plates? Will having magnets between plate and silcone heater cause heat spreading issues?

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Try Lulzbot's modular bed then something like PrintinZ or FLEKS3D instead of the glass/PEI. Or try a thicker eighth to quarter inch PEI sheet.

I didn't have much luck with the PrintinZ and returned to the PEI. It's clean and efficient... no tape, no abs-juice or hairspray to clean up.

ocelot27

Post by ocelot27 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:27 pm

nuroo wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:29 am
Thanks for sharing your ideas. My question about using the Taz6 silcone heater - it takes up almost the whole surface of moving plate. There isn't much place to put magnets around the edges. Maybe we could use clips to hold additional plate? Although the magnet solution is so much more elegant. Idk if it's a good idea to put the magnets 1st then apply silcone pad.
Will there be enough surface area for adhesive with magnets in between the two plates? Will having magnets between plate and silcone heater cause heat spreading issues?
If you use strong enough magnets (neodymium N52) they will pull right through the heater and the plate no problem - just adhere them using the same 3M transfer tape that they use to hold the heaters and PEI sheets down - available on amazon as are many many magnets - I would think 6 well placed 0.25" x 1" disk magnets would hold pretty good - I can test if you like - have a ton of magnets laying around for projects...

ocelot27

Post by ocelot27 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Actually the silicone heater itself must have some Fe in it - magnet sticks to it pretty good without anything on the other side! And this is a counter sunk magnet so not even as strong as a solid disk:
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg