Dual Extruder V3 - why angle the filament channel?

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
JoeBowler300

Re: Dual Extruder V3 - why angle the filament channel?

Post by JoeBowler300 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:26 pm

I just remove the spring screw all together so I can get a good visual of the filament and hole it needs to go into. Its not worth fighting trying to hold the spring and insert the filament. I'll do an angle cut on my filament, that helps a bit too. Sometimes I'll even need to put a little bend in the filament that bends the tip downward in the direction of the hole.

And if you're using PLA you'll surely experience heat creep up the filament to the feeding gear. They put a very under powered fan on the v3 Dual Head, only 3.87CFM
https://www.lulzbot.com/store/parts/40m ... w-flow-fan.

I'll be replacing the heat sink fan with this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/272607041555 ; claims to push 11CFM. Probably a little overkill but... better than failed prints.

The fan on the single head that came with the TAZ 6 is slightly deeper than the one on the v3 Dual Head; don't know what the specs are on it but I'm guessing its the next class up of 6.xx CFM. I do not experience the heat creeps with the single head and PLA filament.

Spacemonkey1023

Post by Spacemonkey1023 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:28 pm

How you you replace the heat sink fan? I'm pretty sure I'm having the heat creep issue as well?

b-morgan

Post by b-morgan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:20 am

JoeBowler300 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:26 pm
The fan on the single head that came with the TAZ 6 is slightly deeper than the one on the v3 Dual Head; don't know what the specs are on it but I'm guessing its the next class up of 6.xx CFM. I do not experience the heat creeps with the single head and PLA filament.
All the fans on my TAZ 6 Single Extruders are the same part (same part number) as the one on the Dual Extruder V3 and the Aerostruder, the 5v version of https://www.lulzbot.com/store/parts/40m ... w-flow-fan.

Replacing the fan requires removing the 4 hex head bolts, cutting the wires on the old fan. Splicing the wires to the new fan, replacing the 4 hex head bolts. On the Dual Extruder V3, the bolts are very long so replacing the 40x40x10mm fan with a 40x40x20 fan will require finding 10mm longer screws.

Amazon sells this Noctua fan (Amazon NF-A4X10-FLX-5V) which is the same size at the stock fan but has a 25% higher flow, 4.82 cfm (stock fan 3.87 cfm).

Spacemonkey1023

Post by Spacemonkey1023 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Has anybody had any luck with replacing the heat sink fans? I used the Noctua NF-A4x20 5V with 9.4 cm3 flow, but I'm still getting heat creep with PLA. I'm thinking about replacing the other fans with Noctuas as well.

JoeBowler300

Post by JoeBowler300 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 pm

I have experienced the heat creep problem very much with the DualExtrusion v3 printhead. I am surprised to read you're still experiencing the problem with a 9.4 cfm fan. I as much as bought the fan I mentioned above, bought the longer screws to mount it and then stopped short of replacing it because I may have found my root cause.

What I have great success with is turning the filament tightening screw just enough to where it begins to push on the filament. As the filament goes into the print head's hole it will touch the top of the hole, when tightening the screw down you will see the filament move away from the top edge of the hole because the screw is beginning to push on it. That seems to be just the right amount of tension and I haven't had any problems since.

It seems around the 2 hour mark is where I usually would experience the heat creep problem (printing from a cold machine, sooner if I were doing back to back prints).
Try my technique and see if you still experience the heat creep.

Spacemonkey1023

Post by Spacemonkey1023 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try!