Einsy Rambo 1.1 Mini 1

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
beepboopclick

Einsy Rambo 1.1 Mini 1

Post by beepboopclick » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:48 am

So let's say I were getting an Einsy Rambo to put in my original Mini. What are thoughts on the best way to deal with the firmware for that? I'm not particularly concerned about catching skipping or power loss etc right now, I mostly just want my mini to be quieter. The two most likely scenarios seem to be recompile the mini 1 firmware with options for taking advantage of the quieter trinamic drivers or waiting for the mini 2 firmware and setting the print area to match the mini 1. I haven't looked into the firmware changes necessary for bed leveling, but I expect that taking the Prusa firmware and trying to adapt that to the mini will be the… most difficult path, but the first option may be a close second. Has anyone given this more thought than I have so far?

beepboopclick

Re: Einsy Rambo 1.1 Mini 1

Post by beepboopclick » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm

I found the Marlin Source https://code.alephobjects.com/project/profile/6/ so I'm thinking copy the Hibiscus_Mini2 from https://code.alephobjects.com/diffusion ... _LulzBot.h and make my own with some of the flags turned off (like the LCD ones, for example). Doesn't look so bad, though I'll probably wait until it's a little closer to release to do this.

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 pm

beepboopclick wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm
I'll probably wait until it's a little closer to release to do this.
Marlin 1.1.8.59 is the final version for the Mini 2 Release, units start shipping June 20th!

beepboopclick

Post by beepboopclick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 am

Fantastic, working on it now. Once I figure out where the wires go on the new board and test it out, I put my fork up on github in case anyone else needs it (presuming I don't accidentally set my printer on fire or anything).

beepboopclick

Post by beepboopclick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:56 am

First major problem: fan connectors are different between the boards (so far everything's been either the right connector or gone connectorless into screw terminals. Hmmm.

beepboopclick

Post by beepboopclick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 am

The endstops are also different (no z endstop, which is presumably because of the fancy new board not needing it) and also they have different connectors. My wiring diagram from the sales page for the mini rambo also doesn't label the endstops, and has something hooked up to what's called exp 2 which I presume is actually Fan2 if I remember correctly, so I'm going to have to dig up some better documentation there. Still, fairly close, if also some days away depending on how quickly I can find and get the connectors.

beepboopclick

Post by beepboopclick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:21 am

And now that it's going to be some time before my mini is working, I'm wondering if the RepRapDiscount LCD screen will generally work with the conditionals set up for the mini2. https://ultimachine.com/collections/ele ... apdiscount Probably best to wait on that one and not make too many changes at once. Nnnnooo, perusing the firmware, it looks like it'll have its own driver and settings.

beepboopclick

Post by beepboopclick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:35 pm

I have found my biggest failing, which is that the Mini2 is using a new board, the Einsy Retro, which has things like z-endstop switches and 24v fan power supplies. So I'll probably have to dial this back a bit and, if I move forward, move the discussion into a hardware board.

Kauppinen

Post by Kauppinen » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:52 am

I just did this conversion. The endstops are not an issue. The fans (ie fan1 and fan2 have to be changed to molex 3pin with clip to have a good connection). The 5v hotend cooling fan can be powered via exp3 port pins 2&4. The firmware can be hacked to include the necessary options as a update to mini's config. To achieve the end result took me about 3h in total all included. I assume that with instructions and preconfigured firmware this mod would take around 0.5h. The end result is heavenly quietness :3