Left Z-axis motor spins the down at the beginning of a print

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer

Re: Left Z-axis motor spins the down at the beginning of a p

Post by 1013 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:35 am

I could not get M503 to actually show what the settings are. Where does it show the numbers?

The printer config max z-speed and max travel speed settings only seem to adjust the speeds for when you are manually moving the axis with the jog buttons.....if you enter a G-code command that tells it to go faster than those settings, it will try to go faster than those settings.

That is why the code that slicer produced was making it stall, even though the host software had a good setting. The host software does not alter the G-code.

I did a little more experimenting with the motion and I have since turned down the max X-axis speed (I will edit my post above). Even though the original speed of 25,000 mm/min on the x-axis did not stall the motor when only the X-axis was moved, if an X and Y command was combined, it did stall, so now I am down to 11,500 mm/min (192 mm/sec)

aadamson

Post by aadamson » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:50 am

I have a brand new TAZ and M503 reports nothing... it's like the eeprom has never been initialized or something, wandering through the code, it seems like it should report something, but it doesn't... Course I've had to send back my bed and controller anyway as it wouldn't hold the bed temp so perhaps there is a code or controller issue with my unit.

Alan

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:56 am

M503 may only work if the EEPROM writing is enabled, it's not enabled in the Marlin firmware's Configuration.h, around line 304.

Post by 1013 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:32 pm

even though M503 does not work (it did not work on mine either) M203 should still work....it worked for me at least.
I know have prints with nice and fast rapid speeds, after adding the M203 to the slicer printer config file.

I also have a copy of the firmware and will put those max speeds in there whenever I finish the dual extruder and re-flash it.

aadamson

Post by aadamson » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Orias wrote:M503 may only work if the EEPROM writing is enabled, it's not enabled in the Marlin firmware's Configuration.h, around line 304.
not sure of the line numbers, but it appears that none of the TAZ printers have had this enabled.

here is the downloads current distribution section of that configuration.h file...

Code: Select all

// EEPROM
// the microcontroller can store settings in the EEPROM, e.g. max velocity...
// M500 - stores paramters in EEPROM
// M501 - reads parameters from EEPROM (if you need reset them after you changed them temporarily).  
// M502 - reverts to the default "factory settings".  You still need to store them in EEPROM afterwards if you want to.
//define this to enable eeprom support
//#define EEPROM_SETTINGS
//to disable EEPROM Serial responses and decrease program space by ~1700 byte: comment this out:
// please keep turned on if you can.
//#define EEPROM_CHITCHAT
I suspect that even though you remove the comments on the define and rebuild, reflash, that you'd still need to store values before you could read them... But that's just a guess...

Alan

Post by 1013 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 am

nice catch,

I will enable those when I re-flash.