lulzbot mini smashing the sensor washers, again.

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot Mini 3D Printer
trollioli

lulzbot mini smashing the sensor washers, again.

Post by trollioli » Wed May 15, 2019 10:43 am

The same thing that happened to my first printer is starting with my second. My first printer had many successful prints using PLA until it eventually started smashing the sensor pads and grinding the motor. Eventually the printer got worse and worse getting more and more problems.

Fast forward a year or so and I decided to get another lulzbot mini. I used PLA again and everything was going great. I decided to try nylon and got 1 good print out of it before it started smashing the sensor washers and grinding the motors. Is there any way to fix this or do I need to send it in for maintenance?

nopick

Re: lulzbot mini smashing the sensor washers, again.

Post by nopick » Wed May 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Have you attempted to clean the tip of the nozzle? This problem is usually due to a dirty nozzle or corner washer. Wiring issues could come in to play but if this started following a nylon print, I would suspect a dirty nozzle tip.

trollioli

Post by trollioli » Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 pm

nopick wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:51 pm
I would suspect a dirty nozzle tip.
You would be correct. My main problem was how do I get the gunk off without messing it up. The first printer I had I used a wire brush and messed it up bad. This time I shut the power off and disconnected it. Then I hit it up with some alcohol and fine grit sandpaper. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the idea.

nopick

Post by nopick » Thu May 16, 2019 6:42 am

Great! Green or blue Scotchbrite usually does the job for me. It is non-conductive and can be used while the nozzle heater is on.

trollioli

Post by trollioli » Fri May 17, 2019 11:43 am

nopick wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:42 am
Great! Green or blue Scotchbrite usually does the job for me. It is non-conductive and can be used while the nozzle heater is on.
update: I can get 1 out of 5 prints to work. Sometimes it smashes the first sensor, sometimes others. I clean it as good as I can and it seems to still be doing it. Maybe higher grit sand paper? New print head?

nopick

Post by nopick » Fri May 17, 2019 11:50 am

What is the condition of the wiper pad? What temps are you wiping and probing at? What plastic are you attempting to print when it fails?

Are the corner washer screws tight? Try backing them out a little and retighten.