Capacitive Auto-Leveling on TAZ 5

Most opto-isolators will work, I don’t think you will have any problem with the one from amazon, but please, aways test your circuit before plugin the OUTPUT voltage back to the endstop sensor. If by any mistake you feed back 24V to the rambo board you will kill it.

The pinout is also messed up because sparkfun thinks you will be using a low voltage circuit to drive a high voltage circuit , we actually want the other way around.

The wiring also depend on the type of capacitive sensor that you are using, if it is NPN or PNP.

Using NPN, the sensor will sink current:
Sensor to 24V, Ground, and the output of the sensor to GROUND on the “IN* side of the board”.
24V on the IN-1
Endstop connected to VCC and OUT-1 (you need to check the polarity, positive 5V side to VCC)

Using PNP, the sensor will source current:
Sensor to 24V, Ground, and the output of the selsor to IN-1.
Ground to GROUND on the “IN* side of the board”.
Endstop connected to VCC and OUT-1 (you need to check the polarity, positive 5V side to VCC)

The Sensor is a OMRON E2K-X4ME1 which is NPN. I’ll be sure to double check all connections prior to making connection to Rambo. Thanks for the excellant help!

Capacitive sensor installed and working. The issue now is I cannot get the custom FW installed. I’m sure it’s something I’m doing wrong. Cura will install the default FW just fine. Arduino will flash with errors, but the Taz won’t reboot. Can someone tell me how to compile it into a .hex file so I can install with cura?

Are you using any virtualization software?

Bootcamp on mac. Win 10 running native. Saw the same thing under Mac but I’ll try again in Mac OSX

You need to have a copy of the required libraries on arduino folder to compile.

Please post the error message so we can figure it out what is wrong.

Ok. No error messages. Here is my process.

Download this

https://github.com/vitormhenrique/Marlin/releases/tag/1.0.2

and follow the guide here

https://ohai.lulzbot.com/project/firmware-flashing/

On Mac

-Install Arduino as in guide, open the previously downloaded FW folder
-Copy hardware folder from 1.x.x to /Documents/Arduino (there is already a libraries folder here)
-Open Marlin.ino from /Marlin-1.0.2/Marlin/Marlin.ino
-update esteps
-Click upload

At this point the verification complete with out error, and it uploads without error. Unplug, reboot Taz, Nothing on screen and doesn’t connect to cura

The only message I get in this

Binary sketch size: 52,634 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)

And I cannot flash the Default FW through Arduino IDE either, so It’s definitely on my end.

Ok I was just now able to flash The 2015Q1 official FW using Arduino IDE successfully. The downloaded file from vitormhenrique won’t work.

What IDE version are you using?

1.0.5 as listed in the guide

I’m not at home now… So it is difficult to help you…
Try using a newer version of arduino… Like 1.6.0…

I’ll check this when I get back home…

Ok, I think I figured it out. I was downloading the release from the link i posted that wasn’t all the files. I used “download zip” and was able to get it installed.

Now to figure out how to do the alignment

Everything seems to be working well. How do I set Z height now? I previously used the z endstop. I assume it’s set in the slicer as an offset?

Where exactly is your probe attached to? I wanted to make a mount the screws onto the left side of the extruder body but it does not have threaded inserts like the TAZ 4 hot ends

On my Printrbot Simple Metal, you had to physically adjust the probe to a set height then use “M212 Z###” to adjust the distance to the bed…

Ok,

I was able to use the official 2015Q3 Taz 5 FW and enable Auto Leveling support. G29 works just fine on this release. I had to uncomment the line for Autoleveling, and setup the points to measure. I’m not sure about the extended g29 support or mesh leveling yet, but I have auto probing working great. I was able to set the z offset in firmware, and tweak it in S3D slicer settings to get it just right.

I attached the probe holder to the left extruder mount bolt on the bottom. It isn’t quite long enough so you will need to get a 5mm longer one or shave a bit off the height of the probe holder.

Here is how I wired the Opto Isolator

So the Mesh Leveling is not in the code for the 2015Q3 Official FW. I’m going to try to build the new 1.1.0 RC 2 FW that includes the code. The current 2015Q3 code is based on 1.0.0 FW i believe.