I’m pulling my hair out here. No matter what I try, about 70% of my PLA prints are failing on my week-old TAZ 6. I’ll look over and it will just have stopped extruding (or will barely be getting any filament out) and have chewed through the filament. I have a Mini as well and never had nearly this much trouble finding settings that made it happy.
It happens at random times and seems like maybe heat creep, but I don’t understand how given there’s a nice 40mm fan blowing on the heatsink. Sometimes it happens on the first layer, sometimes it happens when the print is almost done. Sometimes it happens on parts with lots of retraction, sometimes on solid infill with zero retractions happening. I’m slicing with Simplify3D, using settings that I copied over from Cura and started tweaking from there.
I have tried:
- Checking idler arm spring tension (I’ve tried from 5mm to 8mm and everything in between)
- Changing temperatures (I’ve tried between 195 and 215)
- Turning retraction speed/distance way down
- Adjusting print speed
- Adjusting the Z offset
- Changing extrusion multiplier (tried between 0.9 and 1)
- Verifying consistent diameter of my filament
Anything else I might be missing here? I’m going absolutely nuts and this is holding me up from finishing a project. :\