First, tip of the hat to Seesoe who made me realize we could significantly increase the printing height on the AO-100/101 by making a few new printed parts and keeping everything else stock. Quite an easy mod for someone like me with limited tinkering experience.
I was set to making his upgrade, but after a few months’ use with my AO-100 I decided I wanted some more changes.
- I wish the extruder was more accessible. The two top horizontal aluminum extrusions get in the way.
- The front slanted frame is in the way when I want to take pictures or record video.
- Only new printer parts should be necessary, and possibly some more M5 screws and t-slot nuts, everything else should remain stock.
- Ideally keep the X and Y axes as they are, basically I do not want to take the whole printer apart (otherwise I could make a mini-TAZ out of it)
- Make non-destructive changes, i.e. no t-solt cutting so I can revert back to original configuration if it does not work as planned.
I like the few notable recent RepRap designs like the Mendel90, the Prusa i3 and the MendelMax 2.0 because the build area is totally accessible from the front and the sides, and the extruder is in front of the vertical frame. The TAZ has pretty good access too.
With that in mind I’ve made a preliminary design. (sorry for the animated gifs - thought it would be useful but three in a row is a little annoying…
I’ll admit I’m a little concerned with the rigidity of the upper smooth rod attachments. I don’t know if they will flex. From the center of the smooth rods to the front of the vertical posts there is 85mm.
When I’m farther along in the design I will upload the FreeCAD, STEP and STL files to GitHub.
Suggestions are welcome.