I’ve had a Taz 6 since November and have gotten some great prints with it. I love not having to manually level the bed or clean the nozzle, but my one constant frustration has been with the fail rate of the first layer.
I find whenever I’m starting a print I have to do 3-4 attempts before getting a successful first layer (actually on starting my 6th attempt on a print right now, but 3-4 is average), whether I’m using nGen, HIPS, Polylite PLA, or a few other sample filaments I’ve tried out. Either the filament just creates a blob around the nozzle not sticking at all, or it will stick to the bed but the loose end is stuck to the nozzle so as it moves it pulls the filament up and I’m frantically trying to cut it free.
I’m just not sure whether I’m doing something wrong or if that’s just the way it goes with these printers. Before my Taz 6 I was using a Makerbot Replicator 2, and there were definitely a lot more headaches with it, but I was really hoping the Taz would be a bit more reliable than it’s been so I could focus on designing things rather than hovering over my printer to make sure it works properly.