FlexyStruder with 0.35mm Nozzle?

So, I have a TAZ 5 that came with the .35mm nozzle. I’m waiting to have the money for a flexydually, but since I have to pay for my wedding in September it isn’t the best time. So I printed the flexystruder body and assembled it. Basically, I just switch out the body from my stock extruder and the flexystruder (its a lot of work, but its the cost of holding out a few more months I guess). Anyway, I updated the E-steps for when I have the flexy on, but no matter how much adjusting I do, it under extrudes. I say 100mm, and it only extrudes maybe 70-85mm. There isn’t a clog in the hot end, as I’ve switched back to PLA a few times with no issues. I always purge with cleaning filament between different types of filament too. The flexystruder body is definitely tight enough, as if I just run a piece of ninjaflex in with the hot end detached, and cover the hole with my finger and manually turn the gear, it starts to be unbearable to hold back, still with no signs of slipping at all. I run everything really slow when printing NF, of course, and even used the speeds set in Cura’s ninjaflex profile for flexystruder.

My main question is, is the .35mm nozzle just too small for NinjaFlex? Anyone else tried this? Thanks in advance for any feedback! I really want this to work so I can print NinjaFlex to hold me over until after the wedding and get a FlexyDually!

I don’t know if the .35 nozzle is just too small no matter what.

I DO know that when doing esteps calibration with flexible filaments, you must use a very low feed rate to get consistent results. 15mm/s max with a .6mm nozzle, probably 5mm/s with a .35. Basically repeat the test at lower and lower feed rates until you get consistent results.

Once you know how slow you need to extrude to get consistent feed with your nozzle, set this or (much) lower as your print speed in your slicing program.

The main reason the Hexagon version of the flexystruder has a 0.6 nozzle is that the hexagon ahs a smaller melt chamber than the older buddaschnozzle had, and the ninjaflex needs a larger chamber to melt enough to extrude effectively. You can use a smaller nozzle, but it’s going to be much slower printing. It’s one case where if I were you I might consider disabling the barrel cooling fan to effectively increase the melt chamber size. I have no idea if that would actually work, or what other consequences that might have for future non flexible filament use (would it get melty goo too far up the barrel to use PLA later for example? ) but it might be worth a shot.

IT-Works - I actually ordered a 0.5mm nozzle from you just today, figuring if nothing else, I’ll have what lulzbot currently ships with their latest printers, and slightly faster print times on all filaments. I’m doing the calibration extrusions REALLY slow, like 1 mm/s and it still can’t keep up. I don’t think my temps are to blame, but I’ve seen some people say they print NinjaFlex at 240, so I may try upping the temp a bit. Hopefully that new nozzle will help though too. Layers will adhere better.

Is there a reason that the flexystruder uses 0.6mm but I can’t buy a 0.6mm nozzle anywhere? Seems odd to me.

Piercet - It’s interesting that it takes more space to melt the NinjaFlex. That sort of makes sense from what I’ve seen, where it acts a bit like other filaments do if you aren’t quite running hot enough. I’m running the NinjaFlex at 225 by the way, so I don’t think my temperature is an issue. May play with that some. I wonder if my upgrading my cooling system to the TAZ 6 style, with the bigger barrel fan rather than the squirrel cage actually hurts me on the NinjaFlex. I’d hate to chance disabling the fan though, like you said, it may ruin my chance to go back to using PLA, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the tips! I’ll update as I test things out.

We should have OE .6mm nozzles soon, in the mean time, Matter Hackers has suitable 3mm .6mm nozzles http://www.matterhackers.com/store/printer-accessories/e3d-v6-extra-nozzle-3.00mm-x-0.60mm
We’ve used a few of these nozzles to built shop hotends, they’re longer than stock, but they work fine

Ninjaflex does print nicely at 240C

I would NOT try that as after a couple minutes the top plate of the extruder starts getting very hot. I have personal experience on this from a couple months ago and one of the little blower fans failing on me. :blush: :frowning: