Graphics LCD

This may seem like a silly question, but I am interested in adding a graphics LCD but have read about performance issues on some (jerky pauses in prints due to slower processors). If I wanted to use an lcd for basic monitoring, could I still print using Cura connected (via USB) to my netbook with the lcd connected? or does the Rambo switch input to the lcd’s micro SD? I use the netbook most of the time, but wanted to have something I could quickly glance at for temps and % completion.

From what I understand, the Rambo in the Mini doesn’t support the LCD display.

I use a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint on it, and access my Mini from a web interface wirelessly on my network… saves from having to have a computer hooked to it.

A Raspberry Pi is a computer. :laughing: That is what I do too, and use a smartphone | tablet | SSB app on desktop. OctoPi is great!

Sometimes I think it would be nice to also have simple movement controls and status on a small panel on the Mini. There’s a couple of projects out there for adding LCD touchscreen to Pi for OctoPrint.

It is on my project list to try something like that for my Mini setup, but I haven’t gotten to it yet. I have a spare Pi B 2 and one of the new touchscreens, but I think I’d rather figure out something with a LCD character display, and a D-pad.

I decided to go the Octoprint route as well. liking it, except It won’t install plugins… something wrong with its ability to access the Internet outside my own.

You may need to add DNS to octopi-network.txt or /etc/network/interfaces.

Also look into the devel branch if Octoprint.

Thanks for the tips… I had been digging around for hours trying options such as modifying /etc/resolv.conf (adding Google DNS servers) but it kept getting overwritten on every Pi reboot. (network service is looking at octopi-network.txt values I think). Also tried adding the DNS to octopi-network.txt - still nada. It keeps reverting back to 192.168.2.1 (my router IP) in resolv.conf. Apparently this is normal as the network service re-writes it, and I have read the router hands out the necessary DNS addresses. Just dont think this is happening with the LAN side. Oddly, my PC looks to the same address and it has no issues resolving names.

What is interesting is when I switched over to using my WiFi dongle on the Pi, it connected fine and I was able to download and installed a bunch of plugins. When I switch it back to LAN, it can’t download plugins. (However, I can always get access to the Pi from wihtin my network on either LAN or WiFi dongle). I know the issue is related to the Pi being able to resolve address and its not getting the necessary DNS info.

I was doing some stuff in Putty, and found it could not resolve any hosts or ping would not work when on LAN. I suspect my issue is with Tomato on my router config and DNS. Just trying to nail it. Wondering if maybe there is another way to enter DNS settings in octopi-network.txt? Anyone have to do this for the LAN entry?

Hmmm… interesting discovery… I just changed my lan settings. With the settings like below, it assigns 192.168.2.55 to the Pi and I can’t install plugins.

auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static
  address 192.168.2.55
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  broadcast 192.168.2.1

When I comment the first line (add #), it assigns 192.168.2.42 (presumably DHCP takes over and auto assigns), and plugins work. I’m a Linux noob, so not sure what is happening here, but it seems that I need more setting if I am going to use static IPs.

#auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static
  address 192.168.2.55
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  broadcast 192.168.2.1

i would try just using one Ethernet card IP address. eth0 should work just fine. You really should not need to assign two IP addresses to the Ethernet card. Unless you are wanting to accesses it remotely also, and have the second one the one you use for remote access…

Ha! I was wondering why I was seeing the Pi occupying 2 IP addresses. These were default settings in Octoprint, I just modified to suit my subnet. Can you tell me what it should look like to only take one IP?

Hehe… Well, yeah it is technically. I meant that I didn’t want to have to dedicate a laptop or desktop for it. I’m waiting for OctoPanel to mature more so I can use the Pi Display I have connected to it to locally control my Mini.

Just take the :1 out. Unless you want to supply it both static address to use, I would avoid that example.

Thanks for the tips! I’ll try that!