I know this has been covered before, that being, people converting their old TAZ 3 to a TAZ 5, but thought I’d share my process with anyone interested in watching it.
A while (6 weeks or so) ago, I managed to get my hands on a well used TAZ 3 printer for $635.00 USD. Even living in Canada (with the nasty exchange rate these days), that’s a bargain in my eyes.
Once I received the printer, and got it re-assembled (got pretty battered from shipping), I tested it to ensure that it was working. Compared to my new TAZ 5, the prints that were coming off were sloppy at best. The linear bearings were severely worn, and the mechanics of this printer certainly are not up to par with what I got on my TAZ 5. So I started bouncing around the idea of upgrading this printer. With some help (parts lists, comments from others) and lots of reading on this forum, I decided to take a shot at upgrading this printer.
First I started off by printing all of the necessary parts on my TAZ 5. That went pretty smoothly.
While I was printing off the required plastic parts, I started sourcing the lead screws, lead screw nuts and all the heatset inserts, screws, nuts, washers etc etc that I’ll need for the project.
Just recently everything came together, so I’ve started on the rehab.
Looking over the TAZ 3 with a critical eye, I noticed that the bearings of course were shot and I mean really shot! LOTS of play in those bearings, so the decision was made that all 11 of them had to go. Also noticed that the bearing holders on the bottom of the heated print bed were of a different configuration than those of my TAZ 5. I’ve opted to change those out as well.
As anyone with a TAZ 5 knows, X-Axis end plates are aluminum. As those are two pieces that I don’t have access to, I’ve decided to print those as well. Will see how it goes. I was reading a thread on here that discussed the pros/cons of using plastic. It was written that the Lulzbot people said the printer would work just as well with plastic or aluminum X-axis end plates. As such, I’m going with plastic and see how it goes. Can always figure something out later if it doesn’t work well.
So, the plan is as follows, not necessarily in any particular order. I’ve printed all of the parts using black eSun HIPS, 0.3mm layer height, using 75 percent infill on everything except the leadscrew bolt mounting pieces, linear bearing mounts, and the X-axis end plates. Those I printed at 100 percent fill.
- Replace all 11 linear bearings
- Replace all linear bear holders
- Replace Budaschnozzle with new Hexagon hotend toolhead
- Replace heated print bed with Borosilicate glass and PEI
- Replace TAZ3 leadscrews and all associated plastic parts with TAZ 5 equivalent parts
- Replace/Install any/all 608 bearings with new
- Update machines firmware with stock TAZ 5 firmware
Future plans (following the hopefully successful rehab) is to build a Flexystruder that I’ll test on this printer. Possibly even build a dual extruder and/or flexydually. Will see. Got to get through this mini-project first.
If there are any questions/comments as I go through this build, please feel free.