Hexagon nozzles in general, Micro Swiss in particular

Does anyone have a story to tell after swapping out their factory nozzle for a Hexagon Micro Swiss in a Mini or TAZ?

I’m testing a couple spools of 3D Fuel’s Advanced PLA (APLA). The natural spool prints crazy good even at absurd overhangs, the white spool intermittently jams the extruder after some period of time with the same settings. I wondered if a larger orifice than 0.5mm would be helpful with difficult spools like the white. Now and then I come across a spool in PLA that has similar problems even from well known good sources.

Any advice or rules of thumb on setting up the material profile in Cura for different nozzle sizes?

Loss of extremely fine detail isn’t much of a concern for what I mostly print. Faster print times and the ability to stand up better to more abrasive materials like Proto-pasta magnetic iron or stainless steel is appealing.

TIA, Craig

Ok, since I’m hearing crickets … here’s what I’ve learned after almost a spool of testing.

First, the Micro Swiss replacement nozzle seems to work very well on my Mini. With the coating it doesn’t oxidize and is easier to keep clean. I like the availability of a variety of nozzle diameters but stuck with the 0.5mm for now to keep things simple.

Second, the APLA material is not exactly as easy to print as claimed. Near as I can tell it’s PLA doped with something (hopefully harmless). In practice, when it works, it works great. Bridging is awesome even at an 80-90 degree overhang. But, when it doesn’t work, it will likely jam the extruder and ruin your mood.

The challenge seems to be that this material is a bit more brittle than standard PLA so if you’re printing something that calls for a lot of retractions the hobbed bolt will eventually grind causing the print to fail. I’m starting to get fairly reliable results by printing the initial layer almost stupid slow, raising the bed temperature to 50C to improve adhesion, turning off retraction and managing the angel hair by adjusting the hot end temperature (205 to 210C). When it comes to annealing go as low and slow as you can, otherwise the thinner/fine details will warp.

Hope this helps, C
2016-10-31 APLA.ini (13 KB)

Not sure about other filaments, but so far my Micro Swiss nozzles have been flawless.