HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

I would have to say given the option I would always go for wood. It is a better insulator and the added weight will help stabilize the whole setup. Plus I like the look of wood better.

Ok thanks for the feedback!! so you would lean more towards the DIY wood version with hardware and component kit…
it’s true though, nothing wrong with the wooden kit, does a great job, looks great too. The metal version would be a more distant goal. Low vs. high price points sorta thing.

just for kicks, throw out a number for the metal version, what you think would be reasonable price, that’s including hardware, handles, electronics etc. I’m curious to see what people think.

Hard to say. Granted you won’t have the total overhead a business would experience but if you do this you will have to do some shipping/receiving, packaging, and–most importantly–customer service on top of all the work you’ve already done with an instruction manual. So I’ve always learned that a good starting point for pricing a product is to do 4X the bulk buy material cost–you may want to go a little under this…or over.

If I could make a suggestion. The home 3D print industry is not huge but if you created a company to build these–very professional looking–enclosures it would create an easier and more professional means for other companies to work with you to produce enclosures for them. There are plenty of 3D printer companies out there that build open frame machines with customers that would like an enclosure option. I personally see potential for you to make a tight fitting enclosure for the mini–seeing that LulzBot uses that machine to test their newest tech. Going with a metal enclosure would be the best route for this btw.
I’ve used this mentality when I created my first business 2.5 years ago. It was a bit scary at first but now I wish I would have done it a long time ago. Plus I saw that I was going to turn a slight profit last year so I went ahead a got a 3D printer to make custom parts…and here I am.
Cheers

oh that’s awesome! Good to hear.

I hear ya, that would be ideal, who knows, one day at a time.

Lol. For the metal enclosure, I don’t think 4X is going to happen :slight_smile: I wish! The quotes I was getting from Chinese manufacturing was about 3-4 bills for just the sheet metal work, not bad, but then you have to tack on maybe 1-2bills for all the extra stuff, hardware, power supply etc. and well since most people buying this will have a 3D printer, I might be able to get away with offering it, pre-3d printed parts… let the buyer print the parts for it. But after all those costs, gotta factor in my cut, then maybe margins for a re-distributor or shop, plus shipping, plus tax… rough estimate I’d say probably over a grand for the metal unit… I did all the research a little while ago, I figured it was just too much, so left it alone and put the focus on a DIY wood model… but I really love the metal unit, definitely a trick and professional looking unit.

Anyway, for now, I’m going to work on getting you guys a price for “wood version” kit…going to try to get started on the build plans also. Keep checking back… :wink:

The mini doesn’t need an enclosure though, when I had it, I just took painters tape and covered all the holes in the metal frame :slight_smile:
ok, not so good but ya, with the mini, all you have to do is print panels for the two side ports and just have two bulbed acrylic panels for the front and back, maybe vaccuum formed or something, with the front one having an integrated hinge, pretty simple. I think it would be redundant to box it completely, it already is a box.

**EDIT

I’ve attached a few images of the 108 page instruction manual, page 4 will have some information on the availability of the kits and what you would get with each option.

Also, since the wooden version will require the use of power tools, I thought I’d make available the list of required tools just so people knew what they were getting into if they were interested in the kit. You will need to have access to saws and drills and general carpentry tools.

Dude this looks really professional. Do you have files for the pieces to be laser cut? Maybe part of the kit could be the files so the buyer could take it to his local makers space and cut the wood out there. That’s what my plan is.

thanks Brew, yes I’ve spent months putting the instructions together.

Yep, I was thinking of that…just put it off for now because it will add to the cost.

Well for laser cutting, you would need the .dxf files, I’ll do them up when I get a chance. I’ll include them with option 1 and 2.

What software do you use to make .dxf files–if you don’t mind me asking? I just draw lines in coral. Super basic and kinda hokey I think so I’m interested in what others use.

Or use those files to run the CNC router and have an excuse to finally use it at the makerspace.

I use Illustrator. But most CAD will export .DXFs too. Solidworks, Rhino, Etc.

I have all the CAD files done already in Solidworks so it’s basically just a matter of converting them, open up a few windows and do a few mouse clicks :slight_smile:

I warn you though, although a time saver, having the panels laser cut will cost you. I priced it at a local maker space it came out to around 45$ for each of the side panels, alone. Then there’s the top and back panels which I didn’t get a quote for. I figured it was too rich for most people’s blood so that’s why I focussed on doing a purely DIY style kit.

if I have time, while I’m doing the .dxf files, I might try to design them so that they interlock in the corners, like you see with some of these DIY 3D printers from china, and like the picture below…but I’m just not sure, given the size of this box, if it would make sense structurally.

Thanks sain! I’m going to get back into solidworks, haven’t used it in almost a decade though.

Dang that is expensive. My membership is $40 a month and it doesn’t cost anything to use whatever is there, just materials.

I almost always put some type of dovetail on joints but I have a setup that makes it trivial. But yeah, I would think that wood glue and a brad nailer would be more than enough.

Sweet Jolly Roger!

40$ a month + materials… eeek. I’d be in there running those machines 24/7 trying to get my monies worth :slight_smile:

Well, i’ll do up the .dxf files so you’ll have the choice! I’ll do plane and notched :slight_smile:

Ok guys, got a little angel investment to get things up and running. Looks like we will be ordering in ten kits very shortly. If things go well, I should have them within a month or so. So if you’re on the fence about building a “NICE” enclosure like the HOTBOX, just hang tight and we’ll fix you up with a kit! it’s going to save you a ton of time and money.

Again you can PM if you’re interested and I’ll put you on the waiting list. WOOT WOOT. Let’s HOTBOX it!

Jon-

@JonathanB,

Will this kit include the wood? or we would still need to source this part, cut it to shape etc…

Thanks,

Vitor Henrique

My rendition of the basic dimensions, for those people that want to try and build their own, here is a start and its free. This was based off the pictures of Jonathan’s design. It’s .igs format. The front glass is acrylic sheet glued together instead of bent, found it was easier. material was about $30 for wood and $50 for acrylic I will get some pictures of the actual build shortly. I am also adding this fan set-up

to control temperature
frame_asm.rar (142 KB)

THE MODEL POSTED IN THE LINK ABOVE IS NOT OFFICIALLY ENDORSED BY HOTBOX AND THE DIMENSIONS CANNOT BE CONFIRMED. PLEASE DON’T USE THIS MODEL IF YOU’RE ARE FOLLOWING OUR INSTRUCTIONS AND HAVE PURCHASED THE BUILD KIT. WE ASKED THE POSTER TO REMOVE IT AND POST IT TO A NEW, ORIGINAL THREAD BUT THEY’VE REFUSED TO TAKE IT DOWN. WE WILL BE MAKING ALL THE OFFICAL HOTBOX CAD FILES AVAILABLE AT A LATER DATE. THANK YOU.

@ vitormhenrique, no, the kit does not include the wood… please refer to my post on page 3, the one with all the attachments, look at the second last attachment, it lists the various options and prices. Just PM if you have any specific questions.

The kits will include all the hardware (screws, nuts, bolts), electronics (PWM fan control, connectors, wires, PSU etc.) and other miscellaneous hardware (handles, bumpers, hinges etc.). You will also receive a file package with all the .stl files to print the required parts and you are welcomed and encourage to create and hack your own mods and parts!

Of-course you could always just source the parts and try to build one yourself but it’s actually quite a bit of work, there are a lot of dimensions to take into consideration, the main benefit with ordering a kit from us is that you basically pay a small premium to have us do all that for you, we’ve taken care of all the part sourcing, the instructions, the part files, everything comes to you in a nice neat package, you’ll only have to buy the wood from the hardware store, cut it size and assemble it. You’ll also be helping to support us develop new idea’s and products for the Lulzbot and other 3D printer equipment.

I’m now working with someone else from this forum and we are working on getting 10 kits shipped in within a month or two.

@ mkainovi,

I appreciate the gesture and the work involved. I’d like to keep this a HOTBOX only thread, so unfortunately, I can’t endorse your design. But thanks for sharing it, you are more than welcomed and encouraged to start your own thread with your own awesome enclosure designs or to stick around here and talk about the HOTBOX design :slight_smile:

good luck!

thank you.
Jon-

@JonathanB

Never asked you to endorse the design, I was just giving people an option with dimensions so they could build on thier own. I was just staying true to the OpenSource hardware that the lulzbot was built on.

That’s fine. Like I mentioned, I’d like to keep the posts in this thread HOTBOX related. If you have an awesome enclosure design that you’d like to share, please create a new thread for it.

We’d love to see YOUR own designs, not just renditions of someone elses :slight_smile:

Thank you. :slight_smile:

This is what your finished HOTBOX will look like when you’re done building it. A nice, clean, professional box for your Taz or other 3D printer.

The kit will include everything seen here, PLUS the wiring(not shown) MINUS the wood, acrylic panel and 3Dprinted parts. You can either 3D print the parts yourself or have someone print them for you.

Just add the printer and now you’re ready to print like a champ!