Just got new mini, things I wished were standard

I modified the spool holder and printed in abs and gave it an acetone vapor bath to make the surface absolutely smooth and rounded with no sharp edges to snag on poorly made spools…

I added a raspberry pi & camera for octopi because I didn’t want to be tethered to the printer…

I designed a case for the raspberry pi and modified one for the camera to fit the mini…

And I shared all these designs in case others might find this helpful (or just want to see pictures of what I’ve done so far):

http://www.thingiverse.com/nlaredo/collections/lulzbot-mini-things

I can’t imagine running a mini without octopi & a camera, but it was at least fun to have some of my first prints be things that made printing better, and I had a great time being able to 3d print a couple design iterations for a raspberry pi case until I had had ironed out all the issues I had with my case design other than the fiddling with a sharp edge to make dovetails work since I am a big fan of dovetails in woodworking.

Thanks for sharing the designs. I have parts on the way for an octopi setup as well. I printed another case last night, but I’ll check yours out too. Always nice to have options. I don’t want to use a full computer tethered to the printer, I already had a print ruined due to an issue on the computer. A dedicated setup like octopi prevents that. It’s also far more convenient than the SD card method.

I haven’t noticed trouble with the spool holder, interesting. I have some ABS, I might try it and see. I like some friction on the spool though, it seems to prevent excessive unrolling. I can see how a bad spool might bind up and strip the filament though.